Chapter 4

(Hey Guys, shorter chapter, sorry!)

Rose's POV

Mommy doesn't like magic, but I do. I love it. So does Cindy. We've been playing around and teaching each other spells and potions. Charlotte has warned us not to practice the Dark Arts, but we just ignore her. Magic is just too good to pass up. Plus I think i've seen mommy use it a few times so what's the problem. As for Martha, she doesn't seem to have any opinion on the matter. She's been really, distant lately. She tends to lock herself up in her room and skip meals. I worry about her, but mommy won't let me see her. Sometimes I try to cheer her up by slipping notes under the gap of her door, but I'm not even sure if she's gotten them or not.

It's been 3 days since Martha's opened her door. Today, I was sitting by her door, waiting for her to come out, then around 3:09, I hear the lock on her door jingle. For the first time after 3 days, Martha comes out, looking perfectly normal and dare I say better than ever. Her hair is styled perfectly into a neat and tight bun, her eyes are bright, her thin lips are colored crepe, and all of the marks and imperfections and marks on her face were covered by creams. She stood straight with her chin held high and her back arched in. She wore a knee length thistle colored turtleneck along with alabaster thigh high stockings. She stared at me with her chocolate eyes.

"How long have you been sitting there?"

"About an hour or so," I reply. She walks right past me and makes her way down the stairs. She looked so, prestigious, even for a 7 year old, she looked so mature. "Martha wait!" I yell. She flips around and chuckles, "It's Mary from now on Rosey." With that, she leaves me, and I'm all alone once again.

There is a saying from China, "If you want a rainbow, you first have to tolerate the rain." Even at the darkest times, I can't seem to spot any rainbows, only more storms ahead. Why do you have to leave me Martha? I just can't see why she wants to be called Mary? She will always be Martha to me, a brave, responsible, and fierce girl who will always make the right decisions and isn't afraid of anything.

I notice that she forgot to close her door, and curiosity gets the best of me. I slowly sneak into her cantaloupe colored room. On her dresser, there I spot a silver box with thorny engravings. I snatch and open it to find a gorgeous copper wand with engravings of rosebuds and ribbons. It's beautiful. I toss the box aside, the wand is wand is what I want. I caress the edges and silver vines that wrap around it and hug it to my chest. I know it's wrong to steal, but why does it seem so right. It seems like our paths were meant to collide. I shove it into the pocket of my skirt and scurry out of the room.

Right as I step out and close the ivory door, Charlotte towers over and confronts me, "What do you think you're doing?" Sheesh, she can be really bossy. "No-Nothing," She puts her hands on her hips and stares at my pocket, "I knew it!" She exclaims, "You're practicing magic!" "Nuh uh!" I yell. "Yuh hu!" She teases, "I'm telling mother!" "Please don't!" I plead. "Fine, I won't tell because I love you, but be careful how you stride," Charlotte says wisely. "Ok fine," I groan. I turn and run down to the basement. I can't wait to show Cindy my cool new toy! I hope she likes it!

Gisel's POV

I never liked the dark. I'm terrified of what lurks within. It's even worse being alone in it. It's like being trapped in your own home. It's painful feeling alone in a house filled with people. Maybe that's why I did it, what happened between Andrew and I. I've always wanted a son, but I regret what I did that night. Amber found out, and she is not happy about it, I haven't heard from him since. They are twin brothers, I named them Xavier and Zachary, but I can't keep them. It wouldn't be right.

Sure, I feel bad about it, but I won't be able to miss what I'll never have. I'm sorry you two, but it just wasn't meant to be. I helped Xavier find a home with the Diamond family who is a part of the Jewel army. They have a son named Duke, so luckily Xavier won't be lonely. Unfortunately, they couldn't take in Zachary, no one wanted him. Sadly, I had no other choice but to leave Zachary behind. I still think of it today, but what's done is done. I took to many desperate measures in my time, and I can't undo it.

Amber's POV

So, my dearest thinks he can just waltz back into my life after I killed a man for him! Is it really SO important to him that he gets even with me? That's it! I don't deserve this! This isn't the life I wanted! I - I demand a better one! Oh who am I kidding? I totally deserve this. This, this is karma for all I've done over the years. I still want him though, we're the only two people keeping the Sapphire army from falling apart! I wonder how I can get him to stay... A potion! Of course! I'll create a puppet potion and slip it to him, he'll be mine forever! Now, I just need to figure out how to make one... Hmm...

I know! That little brat that always skips by our house and into the woods! She seems gullible enough! Next time she passes by, I give her instructions to make a potion, and all will fall into place.

My dark eyes shift around. That annoying brat! What did she do to deserve a life as lovely as hers. It gives me a bitter feeling in my stomach. She's a nuisance. I stumble across a single book, it was old, raggedy, and the writing on the cover was barely visible. Such a pain. I go through potion by potion until I find the right one that catches my eye. The puppet potion.

The Puppet Potion:

A cotton strand

A single splinter

A pigeon's feather

The poison of a Jally Mushroom

And the blood of whom you'd like to give the potion