Chapter 79 The Empaths Touch

Start from the beginning

Raina walked around the construct of her control over the power and haughtily held her hand out to it.

"Bow before your queen." She commanded.

And of course, the Draeken image did so immediately, unquestioningly, as it was hers to command. It wasn't even alive in any sense of the word, but Draeken didn't know that.

He spluttered behind her, then abruptly fell silent. Raina looked behind her, suddenly wondering if he was advancing on her, to tear her apart for this insult. Instead, to her shock, she saw his eyes glittering with unmistakable mirth!

Draeken couldn't hold it in any longer, he burst out laughing, a rich hearty sound. Raina found herself smiling at him, surprising herself. He seemed truly impressed and amused with what she had done. And through her powers, she felt something else. Happiness and indescribable, life-giving relief. Relief borne from fresh hope.

"Somehow, I just convinced him that I can save his world!" She thought to herself in amazement, in understanding of the sweeping, flooding relief rippling through him.

"You truly are a Weaver!" He exclaimed happily after he had stopped laughing.

Raina narrowed her eyes at him. "I told you I was. I'm not a liar."

Draeken nodded, then motioned at the image of himself, still on its knees.

"You made that look easy, weaving the power of our light like that."

Raina considered it, considered the slight twinge she had felt each time she had used her power to reach out and control the energy of the glowing orbs. It had been easy. She nodded.

"It was almost as easy as blinking. Or breathing. And just as natural." She stated.

Draeken stepped closer to her, his tawny yellow eyes suddenly so serious she found herself unable to move as he closed on her.

"The light orbs are our oldest wards. They were woven into this castle, into the very bones of all of our cities, thousands of years ago. Woven by an entire Academy of Weavers, over a fifty year span. They are one of the most powerful of our wards, comprised of a special light that repels the Rift Razors. And in thousands of years, they have not failed. They have not been touched or tampered with. There hasn't been any Weavers strong enough to do so. And you fling them about like a child playing with sand. Who are you, little Weaver?" He finished softly, reaching out towards her face with his hand.

Raina saw his hand coming, her power alerting her to his attraction. Her power alerting her to him stalking her, like a wild thing would stalk prey. And she reacted. Her own hand flew up, wrapping around Draeken's thumb and first finger, applying perfect leverage as she twisted and brought her weight down to bear.

Though Draeken was powerful, and easily sixty pounds heavier than her, he didn't have a choice against the perfect geometry of her grip on his hand. His arm twisted up at the elbow as he pitched forward, dropping to his knees in front of her to keep his thumb from being dislocated. His yellow eyes were stretched wide in shock, matching her equally shocked expression, as they stared at each other for a long moment.

Raina released her grip and stumbled back, her hand covering her mouth as she shook her head.

"Sorry! I'm sorry!" She gasped.

Draeken looked over at the still kneeling image of himself. "She really knows how to put a guy on his knees at her feet, huh?" He said.

Then Raina heard a sound she had never heard before. Ahleena was laughing! She spun to face Ahleena, jabbing an accusing finger at her.