Chapter 25 The Telepaths Trap

Callin shook his head, trying to clear out the horror-filled aftershocks of the memory. He looked at his arms, half-expecting to see long scar lines down them, knowing the Flayer had somehow used its power back in the lab the first time he had met it to peel the skin off his arms.

It has used his body as a conduit, to send its psychic power through him into Tassen. Apparently it couldn't tear the skin off of its target unless it was either touching it, or touching someone who was touching it.

"I killed a Flayer in the lab. It wanted me to kill it. It begged me to kill it." He said, seeing Ahleena watching him with a question in her expression.

He lifted a hand and slowly bared his claws, watching as they slid out. Watching the lines of blood run down his fingers. He knew Ahleena was watching him closely, and he wondered if she could see how much it hurt to bare his claws. He wondered if she was aware of how numb to that pain he had become, though sheer familiarity.

Seeing the razor tips and scenting his own blood in the air seemed to help spur more of the fresh batch of memories, and he closed his eyes against the onslaught. There were too many, too fast. He shoved them back in his head, far behind the inner walls, deciding he would allow himself to recognize them, to re-live them, later. When he was alone.

"You remember more." Ahleena stated.

Callin nodded, his jaw clenched as he used his willpower and his walls to keep the flood of memories in check.

"The blocks are failing. Your power grows by the hour. You need to trust me. You need to accept me. Or your power will go full Alpha without the necessary constraints, and it will kill you." Ahleena held out a hand, her dark eyes boring into him.

Callin eyed her hand like it was diseased thing. "Get that thing away from me."

Aleena's eyes flashed, but her composure didn't crack. "Callin. If you do not allow me in, your power will consume you."

Callin backed away from her, unconsciously baring his fangs and his claws. "I'll be fine. I've made it this far. I have a healing power, remember?"

Ahleena watched him turn and run, her heart heavy. He was not going to survive the coming storm of his own powers, unless he opened up to her and Carmen.

Callin ran through the mansion, letting a trickle of his newly, easy-to-access power flow down into his legs, feeling the familiar exhilaration course through him as the halls flashed by. He burst into the main floor, intending to run straight out through the front doors, and out into the woods. He needed space, he needed time to dwell on the new batch of memories that was romping through his thoughts like an enraged lion.

He pulled up short when he found Raina leaning casually against the front doors, her hands clasped behind her and a small smile on her face.

"Move." He knew it was a short, rude command, but he found he wasn't in the mood for games.

Raina tilted her head, her short, feathered black hair reminding him of a bird, or an angry cat. She fixed her bright eyes on him and he abruptly realized she was tracking his emotions, his feelings, and the physical sensations running through him.

"I can't believe you think I smell like thorny strawberries! That shampoo I use doesn't even have strawberries listed on the ingredients."

He glared at her. "I said move. I'm not in the mood for games, Raina."

She smiled sweetly at him, then sauntered towards him. Callin wasn't sure, but it seemed like her body rippled with a hypnotic swaying motion that seemed to pierce his will and latch onto his imagination.