Chapter 37: A Little More

Reine rented us out two rooms from the young worker at the front desk who really looked like he didn't want to be there, but he seemed a little too happy to see Reine. I watched in irritation from afar as the rest of us waited behind as she awkwardly turned his advances down and accepted two key cards for the rooms. I ended up rooming with Mikasa and Reine while Nathan, Dimitri, Ayette, and Ciana roomed together across the hall from us.

As of now, Mikasa is sitting criss-crossed on one of the maroon and brown beds, examining her haul from Sage's while I'm checking out the room and Reine is taking a shower in the bathroom, steam coming out from underneath the white wooden door and heating the main room.

"Hey, Mikasa..." I start.

"Hm?" she hums as she accidentally clanks a few glass bottles together from out of her tote bag.

"Can I ask you something?"

"Go ahead," Mikasa nods thoughtfully as she stays focused on her packages.

"Is it possible that I didn't gain all of my memories back?" I ask.

"Why do you ask?" Mikasa frowns and glances up at me, her blue eyes troubled.

"It's just...I have another sister, but this one's my sister by blood," I start, "and I don't seem to remember her from my childhood. I was born in this realm, but I have no recollection of her whatsoever until I went to the human realm, which makes no sense because she's only two years younger than me."

"It is possible that your memories of her are not there because they are not supposed to be," Mikasa starts slowly, "if other people remember her and you do not, even after my magic, then something is wrong. It's possible that others' memories were tampered with or that something is interfering with the spell I used and blocking her out, but I don't know what could possibly do that."

"So, you're telling me that either it's me or it's not me and you have no idea which one it is or why?" I sigh defeatedly.

"I'm sorry, Gabriel," Mikasa says sadly, "I did all that I could. If it's the case of someone blocking some of your memories from returning, I may be able to help if you figure out the source, but otherwise..."

"Otherwise, I'm stuck. Right?" I sigh once more.

"Yeah..." Mikasa trails off, frowning, "I really am sorry. My magic is supposed to override everything that blocks memories or interferes with them in some way, which is why it works on people even with amnesia or any form of memory loss or blockage. I'm not saying that it was my fault, but if it turns out to be, I'm sorry that I couldn't do more."

"It's not your fault," I smile sadly, "I'm really grateful to you. You've helped me remember so many things I don't think I ever would have on my own. Even if I may be missing some pieces, I've gained so much more back, and for that I want to thank you."

Mikasa smiles back at me just as the bathroom door opens and Reine comes out, ruffling her long lavender locks in a fluffy white towel as she stands there in an army green tank-top and a pair of ripped stonewashed skinny jeans. Mikasa glances between the two of us and slides off of her bed, carefully placing her packages back in the tote bag before making her way across the room and towards the door.

"I'll leave you guys alone for now," Mikasa turns and smiles as her hand rests on the door knob before she opens it gently and closes it behind her.

"So..." I trail off as my eyes flicker back over to Reine.

"Soooo?" Reine muses and goes back into the bathroom to place the towel back on its rack before she emerges again.