Chapter 22: Closer to Heaven

I sigh as I sit on a hotel bed that's next to a giant wall made of plexiglass with a balcony on the outside, rain pouring down the glass windows and sliding door as I run a hand through my hair and the sound of fireworks continues going off every now and then in the distance. Reine came back about a half hour ago and mentioned that Tsukumi helped her book a decent hotel for us to stay and that Nathan found his way back to them, still angry, but he was more cooperative when he got back. And so, we headed to the hotel and it started raining on the way there, which seemed fitting given the current mood. We had decided on burying Melantha down by the beach where fireworks were being set off. We decided to stop by the hotel first to drop off our stuff while Dimitri waited outside with Melantha, which is where we are now.

"Are you ready?" Reine asks as she stands in the doorway, shuffling around nervously as she stands there in a kimono and her hair pulled up in a bun, multiple lavender strands framing her face.

We had also decided that we were going to celebrate part of the festival while we were here in Melantha's honor. She couldn't be here to experience it, so we're going to experience it in her memory. We also decided she would want us to try and be happy and not sulking around, which contributed to the idea of participating in the festival after having her funeral.

"Yeah," I nod, running my hands along my thighs before standing up, "I cleaned up my wound, so I guess so."

Reine nods and steps aside as I walk over, exiting the room and shutting the door behind me. Reine and I walk down the hallway and take the elevator downstairs to find the others waiting in the lobby with somber faces. As we make our way outside to meet Dimitri, I find it hard to look at Melatha's body lying there limp in his arms. I glance up at the sky and inhale shakily, watching as rain continues to pour down and the fireworks finally stop, most likely due to it being too hard to light them. We make our way down the street quietly, some citizens sending us curious looks or sad expressions of understanding.

Even though I knew one of us could always end up dying, it really put in to perspective the danger of it. I feel like things are more real now, if that makes any sense. Everything feels...different. Anyone's time could run out at any moment. The thought makes me sad and worried, but it also makes me want to train even harder to make sure that that doesn't happen. We all agreed that we'd save talking about what happened and what to do next for tomorrow, saving today as a day for celebrating the lives of the dead and cherishing those we still have.

We arrive at the beach in about fifteen more minutes to find that most people have left due to the rain or are hiding under umbrellas or swimming in the ocean, multiple beach towels scattered across the sand and unlit fireworks abandoned in hurry for cover from the rain. We scan the beach and decide to head over to a small secluded area by the right of the beach that's next to an underwater cave and hidden by a rocky area with grass from up above.

"Do you think she'd um," Nathan starts, rubbing the back of his neck, "do you think she'd want to be in the water? I mean, she was Aquais..."

"That's a good idea, Nathaniel," Reine smiles softly and Dimitri places Melantha down on the sand, her black hair spreading out in a fan below her and her skin more porcelain than normal.

Reine holds out her hand and a white field of energy begins to surround Melantha.

"Wait!" Nathan starts and Reine lowers her hand, the aura of energy going away as Nathan runs up to her and he kneels down beside her.

Nathan reaches for Melantha's right hand and he slides off a dark brown, wooden, beaded bracelet that has a wooden cross on it and he places it on his right wrist before he strokes the side of her face.