Chapter 5: It Takes Twelve to Make a Chain

Once Nathan, Melantha, Reine and me are settled in my bedroom and my parents and siblings are aware of them staying over and not to bother us, Reine finally begins to explain everything that's going on.

"Okay," Reine breathes out, "to start from the beginning, I am an Iegashyia, a Supernatural being from another spiritual plane that lies over your realm. I am one of the guardians of a spiritual item called a Soul Chain. A Soul Chain is something that binds your soul with another. You can't physically see it, but you're spiritually linked. If something happens to the other person, you'll know it. The Soul Chain that I'm in charge of consists of twelve linked beings, with each person being a link in the chain itself. Soul Chains only link those who are of magical heritage or have magical powers themselves."

"Wait," Nathan shakes his head, holding up a hand, "hold on a moment. Who all is in this chain of yours?"

"My Soul Chain consists of Gabriel Lightsander, Ciana Delwyright, Aislinn Frigid, Renji Ai, Shitau Evensce, Tsukumi Shoyou, Adrienne Vinem, Nathaniel Westerweller, Melantha Gould, Coralyinn Winters, Medea Vesper, and myself."

"So, you're telling me that we're all in your Soul Chain?" I raise my eyebrows at Reine and she nods curtly.

"Yes," Reine says, "that is correct. While it is my duty to protect the chain, I must always be training and preparing for the worst. Things were...peaceful...in my realm for a long time. However, Coralyinn wants the power of the Soul Chain to herself. You see, Coralyinn plans to drain the power from each being in the Soul Chain before discarding them, cutting their link by killing them. With her newly gained powers, Coralyinn wishes to start a war, one bigger than the one that she has already started. That is why I came to your realm. I am here to watch over you and the rest of the chain, making sure neither she or any of her accomplices get to you."

"Was that woman from this morning trying to bring me to Coralyinn?" I ask, furrowing my eyebrows.

"Most likely, yes," Reine sighs, "that was Adrienne. Adrienne goes by the nickname of the Reaper, with Reaper being her Iegashyia gift. Each Iegashyia is born with a gift that comes with multiple talents and powers. Kione also works with Coralyinn, despite not being in the chain. Medea is a bit of a wild card. She may help us or she may side with Coralyinn. I am not sure as of now, but if I can reach her first..."

"So," Nathan starts, "when that crazy lady was calling you 'Queen,' was that your Iega--whaya name?"

"Yes," Reine nods, "that is my gift. Yours is Insight and Gabriel's is Energy."

"Insight?" Nathan's lips twist into a slight frown, "what am I supposed to do with that?"

"What about me?" Melantha asks as she hugs her knees to her chest and rests her chin on top of her knees, her blue eyes wide and curious.

"Your gift is Aquais," Reine says.

"Gift?" Ayette says as she nudges my bedroom door open, "are we gifting people now? Because you know that I love gifts, little bro."

"No," I roll my eyes, slightly horrified on the inside and wondering what all Ayette heard, "and even if I did have any, you wouldn't be getting one."

"Wow," Ayette pouts, "that's harsh."

Ayette's eyes wander over to Reine and her eyebrows raise as she stands in the doorway.

"Yo, nice hair," Ayette hums in approval, "did you dye it yourself?"

"This is--"

I kick at Reine's shin from where I'm sitting on my bed and she seems to get the hint, her eyes widening as she remembers that it's unusual for people to have unnatural hair colors at birth here.

"Yeah," Reine clears her throat, "I did it myself."

"Cool," Ayette smiles, her eyes holding slight suspicion as she glances between me and Reine, "well, you guys have fun. Oh, and nice contacts too, by the way. Glad someone around here can appreciate my sense of style."

Reine waits a few moments as Ayette's footsteps wander farther and farther down the hallway until she can no longer be heard. Reine lets out a sigh of relief as Nathan gently pushes the door shut before slumping down against it, running a hand through his hair.

"Man, this is a lot to take in," Nathan sighs.

"I think it's kinda cool," Melantha smiles, nudging Nathan playfully as she sits beside him, "mine means water, right?"

"Yeah," Reine nods.

"Sweet!" Melantha fist pumps the air happily and Nathan watches her wearily.

"And," Reine swallows thickly, seemingly the first time I've ever seen her nervous, "in a few days, once I gather the rest of the Links that are in this realm, I'll be needing all of you to accompany me to my realm."

"What?" my mouth goes dry and my eyes widen, "for how long?"

"Um, indefinitely?" Reine chews on her bottom lip and I feel the air leave my lungs.

"Do we have a choice?" I breathe out.

"I'm afraid not..." Reine trails off, her eyes sad, "I'm sorry. It's just until I manage to get rid of the threat to the chain. You'll be training and learning to use your abilities in my realm while under my protection. You don't necessarily have to if you don't want to, but...you'll have to come with me either way. It's the best thing for the safety of our realms."

"What about my parents?" Nathan asks wearily.

"Nobody will know you're missing," Reine assures us, "I will place a time lock upon this realm, freezing everything in it while we are in my realm. The time zones are slightly different, so adjusting may be hard for you at first."

"How long?" I croak out.

"Excuse me?" Reine frowns, furrowing her eyebrows in confusion.

"How many days do we have until we leave?" I ask.

"Three days, approximately," Reine says quietly.

"Man," Melantha sighs sadly, glancing down at her lap, "that sucks..."

"Yeah..." I breathe out in agreement, laughing dryly and glancing off to the side to stare out my bedroom window while Reine watches me with empathetic eyes, "it really does..."