Chapter 35: One of Two Paths

"G--Gabriel," Reine breathes out as she stares me in the eyes and the bridge of her nose becomes tinted pink, "why did you...?"

"Your favorite color is anything blue-green, black, purple, or red. We started training together on September fourth of two thousand and nine. We had hot cross buns together and your mom stood there watching over us. You knew she wasn't happy about us being out in the rain, but she smiled nonetheless. I lived with you while my parents were gone and we grew up next to each other. And you told me you loved me twice. Remember that time you slipped and fell in the streets and scraped your knees and I patched them up while you wiped away your tears? I promised you I would never leave you, and I'm never going to leave you again as long as I can help it," I breathe out in a rush.

Reine's eyes widen and tears start to stream down her face as she smiles. I brush away her tears with my thumb and a bubble of laughter escapes her lips.

"You remember everything?" Reine asks, eyes hopeful.

"I remember everything," I smile, "and this entire time I've always felt drawn to you. And while I knew we used to be best friends after I found out from overhearing Dimitri and you telling me bits and pieces, I didn't really know everything. But...I knew I really cared about you, even if I didn't remember all that we'd been through. And I realized that I was starting to fall in love with you, but I didn't fully realize it until I had all of my memories back. I'm in love with you, Reine Yvatlovich, and there's no getting rid of me this time."

"Good," Reine smiles and breathes out, moving so that she buries her face in my chest and wraps her arms around my torso, "I'm glad..."

"Good," I laugh out sheepishly, "I was kinda hoping I didn't...force that kiss on you there."

"What? This?" Reine smirks as she leans back before she stands up on the tips of her toes and presses her lips to mine in a quick kiss before she pulls back, "I don't think so."

Reine grins impishly before she pulls completely away from me and I shake my head, chuckling. She bends down and picks up the pile of clothes before she grabs my right wrist and leads me out into the hallway.

"Come on," Reine says, "we don't wanna be late. We can talk more about us later."

"Alright," I sigh, but am actually really relieved to be going to see Ayette because she is my step-sister, after all.

I smirk to myself as I maneuver my hand so that I end up holding Reine's hand instead of her holding on to my wrist, and she sighs and shakes her head but doesn't disapprove nonetheless.

Once we arrive in the medical room, I spot Dimitri sitting on Ayette's bed while she's sitting up and making various hand gestures and complaining. Meanwhile, Kaltrina is standing in the corner of the room next to Shitau and Ciana while Renee is talking to Aidan.

"What do you mean you can't tell me?!" Ayette snaps and Dimitri sighs.

"What's going on?" Reine asks, her eyes flickering between Ayette and Dimitri.

"Dimitri won't tell me what happened to me," Ayette rolls her eyes.

"I told you, I have to wait until you're calmed down," Dimitri sighs once more.

"I am calm!" Ayette narrows her eyes at him as Reine places the extra clothes down on the bed.

"Actually, I'd say you aren't," Reine hums and Ayette turns her irritated gaze to Reine, "but that's to be expected."

"I think it's fine to tell her now," Aidan adds, "she has to find out sooner or later and she may as well find out before she stresses herself out even further."