4 - Jake

I sorted through the papers scattered across my desk, gathering what Evelyn would need for the day. I heard a gentle knock on my door and knew it was her. She was the only one who knocked that softly.

"Hello, Evelyn," I said without looking up from my desk.

"Hello," she replied with a softness so appealing that I looked up at her.

Just standing there, she looked angelic. Her expression was gentle and her caramel hair gently rested on her shoulders as if it was placed there perfectly.

I stood up, my chair shooting back from the force, and let my head fall to the side a bit as I held her gaze. I walked up to her slowly and noticed her shrink down as I stood in front of her. Her gaze darted around the ground nervously. Up close, I could smell her perfume. It was sweet and reminded me strangely of Sarah, my first kiss at the mere age of 14.

"You know, you make it really hard to be
professional when you look this beautiful," I finally whispered.

It wasn't exactly what I wanted to say, but I felt like I had to say something and it was the first thing that came out.

Her cheeks reddened and her gaze became more heavily fixed on the floor. I felt myself slipping out of the office, fading into a world where it was just her and I.

"Are you sure that's still what you want?" I asked, gently touching her face.

Her eyes lingered on my biceps, then bounced up to my eyes. I couldn't resist letting a small smile through.

"Um.. yeah," she wavered.

Her eyes darted away from mine quickly.

"Really?" I challenged, taking a small step closer.

We were inches apart now. I knew she was lying, more to herself than me. She swallowed hard and looked up at me, doe-eyed. I waited. It was her move.

She stood up on her tip-toes and hesitantly placed her lips on mine. My heart jumped and I put my hands on the small of her back instinctively. Her arms slowly wrapped around my neck and I pulled her chest up against mine, deepening the kiss. She cupped my shoulders with her hands and rested her forearms against my chest, pushing herself away from me abruptly.

My mind was swirling and I felt dazed.

"Um.. that probably shouldn't happen again," she spoke, pulling herself out of my grasp.

"Right. Professional," I mocked with a wink.

She rolled her eyes and ignored the comment.

"So, what am I doing today?"

"Here," I answered, handing her the folder I just prepared.

"Great, thank you."

"Oh, Evelyn?"

"Yeah?"

"Have dinner with me tonight."

"Uh.. no, I don't think that's a good idea."

"I wasn't asking. It's not a date, I just want to... get to know the intern more," I smirked.

"So you've had dinner with all the interns and employees then?" she raised an eyebrow and popped her hip out.

"No, but I'm... struggling to connect with you and I think dinner would help with that," I lied with a grin.

She narrowed her eyes, assessing me.

"It's just a work thing," I added, though it wasn't.

"Yeah, sure," she agreed unenthusiastically.

"Perfect. I'll text you about it... you know because it's a work thing," I teased.