Chapter 1

Evan POV

She said, "K."

"Wait. R-Really?"

"Sure," she replied, scrolling through instagram on her phone.

"Uh cool. See you then?"

Zoe Murphy just agreed to go out with me! It's tomorrow. Saturday. We're going to a local Italian restaurant.

Ahhhh Zoe is amazing. She's just so great. She's really good in all of the school subjects, plus jazz band which she does after school. She played at a pep rally and I was so close to actually talking to her about how good she was. I didn't end up doing that though because I was too nervous about my hands being sweaty. They weren't too sweaty, but I ran to the bathroom and put them under the hand dryer, but that just made them still sweaty, just really warm as well.

I practically skipped to the computer lab where Jared was playing on Cool Math Games. Jared's a family friend, who is also my best friend. I tell him everything. He's basically the one person I open up to at all. "Hey Jared! Guess what?!?!"

"Dammit, I lost! What up, acorn. What's got you all excited?"

"Zoe Murphy. She said yes."

"Well shit, Hansen. Congrats!" He patted my head like a cat. "Now back to my game."

"I'm so happy. I mean I built up the courage to ask her to go to dinner. I went through with it. Then then universe rewarded me with a date with Zoe. Life's good."

"Yeah yeah," Jared said, hitting the space bar so hard, I was convinced it was going to break off of the keyboard. "DAmMit!"

"Wow."

~

It's finally Saturday. 6:40 pm. I have twenty minutes to get there. I need to get dressed! I put on a nice, but not too nice, light blue shirt. I paired that with dark blue pants and black converse. Those are the best shoes I own. I don't go anywhere anyway.

I got to the restaurant five minutes early. The waitress showed me to a table. "I'm Peggy. I'm going to be taking care of you tonight. Do you need a minute to figure out a drink?"

"Probably, yeah. I'm waiting for someone to get here."

"Okay, no problem! I'll come back in a little bit."

I looked at the menu and thought about what I might get. I occasionally looked up at the door. Ten minutes passed. Peggy came over to check on me, but Zoe hadn't come yet. I texted, "Hey." It's casual. It's simple. It's not stalking her. It's fine.

Then twenty minutes passed. And another twenty. Was I waiting too long? Peggy started to look sad as she came by me, like she was sorry for me. I noticed other people looking over sometimes. I looked down at the table and counted the sugar packets in the container.

Twelve sugar packets. Six pink ones, four yellow ones, two white ones. Same number it was ten minutes ago when I counted last...

Suddenly, someone sat on the other side of the table. The person had long, brown hair and a dark grey sweatshirt. "Hey. Sorry I'm late. Traffic on 42nd was a nightmare."

I looked up. This guy looked sort of familiar. "Um."

He leaned forward, "I'm Connor. Just go with it, I'll explain."

I nodded. "I'm Evan."

"I know. Er.. I know you from school. I'm not creepy, I promise." He smiled.

Peggy took our order. She smiled at me and gave me a thumbs up on her way to the kitchen.

"I felt bad since you were all alone, practically crying at your table. I saw from outside. That..sounds creepy. I just came to help. Hope I'm not creeping you out. Sorry."

"It's okay. It helped. Thanks, Connor."

Before we left, Connor and I exchanged our phone numbers. We're friends now. He made me completely forget I was sad about Zoe. Today was pretty decent. 

~~~

Real quick: if you happen to like my stories and want to read more, I have started a new account on wattpad.  

it won't let me mention the username, so it's just "khellohellohello83"

it's just my username now but with a K in front

I will hopefully be more active on that one! I'll still read and respond to comments here, but I'm going to write more there. I have a chapter of a new story up right now hehe.