Chapter 2 [EDITED]

ACE

I never had to wait for anything in my life.

I used to get toy guns when I was five. I got older and they turned to the real ones. As my father loves to say, you never wait for something to come at you. If you want it hard enough, you just take it.

Just like he patiently waited years to take over the La Eme Pedro Knight built with his blood. Being the former underboss, he showed his respect when it was due but I can reckon the way he looked for the day the old Knight would be dead. If Pedro didn't die the way he did, I may have been the future underboss. I was trained for it for my whole life only to take over as a boss when two months ago Pedro unexpectedly died.

A shot in the heart is what they said.

But I know there's more to the story. In our world, we lived on lies and bled on betrayals. So as his body was lowered to the ground, I took everything he left behind.

Even his mistakes.

"Nicki still refused to open his mouth," Roman says, his eyes straight at the wall and not on me.

Nicki...the bane of my existence for the last few weeks.

"This is exactly why Dario is tracking his sister, Roman. Is there anything else that I need to know?"

He takes a moment to consider my words and then nods. "Yes, boss. The Surenos were wary of Pedro's death but ever since you took over, they are hesitating to exchange information. Especially, after the Outfits attacked one of our clubs."

My fists clench in result. The Outfits may have full control over Chicago, but they won't spare their share on New York either. Which is exactly why Pedro was thinking of a peace treaty between the two families but Dante managed to stop him. Dante was supposed to be the peace holder in the family, the one person I can go for advice. But he is a different breed of animal. The more I teach him to hunt, the more he starts to think that he's the owner.

"The Surenos have nothing to fear from us." I pause, wondering if that's really what I believed. "Besides, is Outfits the only reason they are afraid?"

For the first time, he meets my gaze with a grin. "They think you had something to do with Pedro's death. And if you can betray the familia..."

You can betray your own soul.

He shares the same thought when he steps away respectfully. "I know there were rumors going around since his death but I know you didn't do it. You are not capable of such monstrosity."

My smile is close to a snarl when I stand up, my mind conjuring every way I'm going to test him. "Because I'm too soft?"

He shakes his head, a small laugh of disbelief leaving from his lips. "Oh, no. If you really wanted to take everything from Pedro, he wouldn't be dead. He'd be forced to watch his downfall. You don't just want blood, boss, you never did. You much more prefer to possess their mind."

I can't argue on that so I don't.

Before Roman can say more, Lou stumbles over the doorway with papers in his hands, probably for the meeting with the cartel. As Lou nervously looks up to me, I gesture for Roman to leave. He does so but not before stealing a cautious look at Lou.

I sigh despite not wanting to. I may have chosen Roman to be my underboss but Lou was my father's first choice. Is Roman still insecure about his position? Fuck, don't know why that makes me uneasy.

"Er...boss?" Lou squeaks, almost immediately tensing his muscles. For now, I decide to overlook his clumsiness by showing interest in the papers.

"Did the cartel agree for a meeting?"