A night out

“Umm, Gerald?” Keira’s uncertain voice spoke.

“It just seems to be a power cut. Don’t worry; I have generators. Power will be back in two minutes.”

“Okay.”

“What, you afraid of dark?” Gerald lightly teased.

“Ha, you wish! I love darkness. We can do so many things and nobody would even notice,” she spoke enthusiastically. Gerald's eyes widened a bit and he blushed red. Few images of Keira and him came into his mind which, if publicly displayed, would be frowned upon. Keira had not realized her blunder. She suddenly spoke, “Wait, what’s that light outside?”

Gerald realised that his eyes had become a bit more accustomed to dark and he could see the faint outlines of everything. He could even see Keira standing up as few feet away from him. He turned his head to window and realised what she was talking about. The faint, pale moonlight had spread outside, seeping in through windows which made it easier to see. Keira almost ran to the window and pressed her nose against the glass, straining to see upwards.

She gasped, “Is it full moon today?”

He shrugged, “I guess. Please don’t tell me that you are a werewolf now.”

She snorted and looked at him, “What are we doing inside when there’s perfectly wonderful night out there?” She grabbed the fluffiest coat from the coat hanger and started shoving her arms through it.

“What are you doing? What about the movie?”

“Oh screw movie, Gerald. Come on outside. It must be lovely there.”

Gerald shook his head. he could hear ‘awww..’ sounds from inside his head. Aren’t these guys romantic! He dryly thought. He grabbed a coat and followed her out. She was already in the lawn, twirling around like a seven year old, bathing in moon light. The moon light truly was amazingly milky and cool. He closed the door behind him and went to her.

Moonlight had paled her already faint complexion. She was looking ridiculous in that double sized fluffy coat. But the joy on her face was indescribable. She looked like she had seen the moon light for the first time. She planked down on the grass and patted place behind her, motioning him to sit. He made face, “On the grass?”

Keira rolled her eyes, “Yes Gerald, on the grass. Come on now, or the grass monster will eat you.” She made a monster gesture by her hand and laughed. He stood for a moment but sat down besides her. It was chilly outside. But it was worth it. Living outside of town had its benefits. 

“I wonder if Sharon and Peter are under the same moon light.” She said dreamily.

“They are alright, Keira,” Gerald sighed, “I- I feel in my gut that they are alright.”

Keira snapped her head towards him. Gerald and gut feelings? Since when did they go together?

But she smiled kindly. There was no use to pester him about that. He was already looking enough red-faced. Gerald had a specific shade of red on his face when he blushed. And that shade was fast becoming Keira's the most favorite color.

“You are friends with Sharon since you were little. Do you remember me?” Gerald asked, not looking at her.

Keira frowned, “Not much, I have poor memory. You didn't hang out much with us. And then you went away in a boarding school. I always use to wonder why did you go.”

“I didn’t,” he looked at her, “My mom sent me away.” Keira gasped loudly and Gerald bitterly chuckled.

“Are you serious? Why?”