Twenty Seven

Chris' POV- April 2018

"It smells amazing in here"

I glanced up just as Cody made his way into the living room/kitchen area.

"Date night with Desi?"

"Yeah" I answered.

"Nice, what did you make?"

There were ribs in the oven, and I was about to steam some veggies. The Mac and Cheese was technically done except I had to add some breadcrumbs to it. 

"Ribs, veggies and Mac and Cheese" I listed off.

"Yum"

"There's enough for you" I told him.

He smiled.

"I'll take you up on that offer"

"Then I will let you know when everything is ready" I stated.

"Okay, I'll keep out of the way"

How nice of him.

"Just try not to be too loud, we have a game tomorrow"

I rolled my eyes as he cackled.

"Just kidding, I hope you get laid"

And just like that, he made his way to his room. As the water boiled, I decided to go and change into a pair of black jeans and a fitted button down that Noel got me this past Christmas. It fit me a bit baggy at the time, but I had gained weight during the offseason. The doorbell rang just as I was placing the Mac and Cheese into the oven. Taking a deep breath, I made my way to the front door. Desiree stood on the other side looking as beautiful as always. Her hair was no longer up in a small bun, instead, it was down. She was wearing the same outfit I saw her in the morning that she had paired up with a pair of heeled booties. 

"Hey, let me get that for you," I told her.

I took the duffle bag from her.

"My laptop is in there"

"I'll be careful," I promised.

I adjusted the duffle bag strap on my shoulder and smiled at her.

"You look stunning" I stated.

She rolled her eyes but accepted the kiss I was leaning in for.

"Come on in," I told her.

As she stepped inside, I closed the front door and locked it then followed her into the small hallway.

"How was work?" I asked.

I was curious to know what had happened if the situation she was in had been dealt with.

"As you said, my resume got me hired not coat-tailing from people. It's a reason why I chose not to go to UC Davis as my dad did"

"So it went well?" I questioned.

"Yeah, he wants to know what the Vet Tech has against me that made her file that complaint"

Well, that was interesting.

"Like I understand that I joined the team after, but I am more educated than her, therefore, know more than her. By the looks of it, she's mad that Oliver and I get more surgeries than her" 

I raised an eyebrow.

"But you're the doctor" I noted.

She shrugged.

"It is what it is, I'm starving and it smells amazing in here"

"Dinner is almost ready," I said.