Nine

Desi's POV- March 2018

As I made my way inside the cafe that Chris had suggested we meet up at, a voice in my head was repeating something Kaylee had told me.

"Let him do the talking and try to show as little emotion as possible. Make him nervous, he deserves it even though he changed his mind"

The cafe was pretty busy, but I quickly found Chris who was seated in a booth. He had noticed me already and was sliding out of the booth.

"Good morning" I greeted as I approached him.

He adjusted his cap before smiling at me.

"Morning"

I accepted the hug he was leaning down for. As he placed his hand on my back and gave me a light squeeze, I got a good sniff of his scent. He smelled amazing, and I would be lying if I did not admit that I had missed him.

"So how have you been?" I questioned as I waved a waiter over.

I slid into the booth and watched as he slid in across from me.

"To be honest, I've just been working out and getting ready for the regular season"

"Well it is your job" I stated as I placed my sunglasses inside my purse.

He slowly nodded and stared at me for a second too long before speaking,

"How did you do it?"

"What do you mean?" I wondered.

"How were you able to balance professional soccer and veterinarian school?"

I smiled.

"Are you planning to go back to school?" I joked.

He chuckled and shook his head.

"My mom would love that, but no"

"It was hard, but I don't regret doing it" I admitted.

"But how did you manage?"

I laughed.

"A lot of crying and sleepless nights" I confessed.

Lots of them.

"And lots of breakdowns" I added.

I smiled and shrugged.

"It wasn't as easy as I make it seem, but it was worth it," I told him.

I got to live out my childhood dream and carve out my dream life. 

"I suddenly feel a bit exposed, can we change the subject?" I wondered.

Chris nodded.

"What have you been up to?"

I hummed.

"What have I done?" I asked myself.

I clicked my tongue as I remembered something worth enough to tell him.

"My bestfriend, Kaylee got married, so I was in Cape Cod for a weekend" I stated.

"How'd that go?"

I smiled.

"The memories come and go" I joked.

He seemed to notice I was joking because he chuckled.

"I was the maid of honor, so it was a bit stressful" I admitted.

Nothing many shots of tequila did not fix.

"But, overall it was a beautiful and eventful long day," I said.