Chapter 14: New Girl In Town

Saturday
25th November 2018

4:44 p.m

Omniscient

Mahogany pulled a face as she listened to her father give her a long ass lecture about this 'mysterious' boy that she was seeing

Mahogany pulled a face as she listened to her father give her a long ass lecture about this 'mysterious' boy that she was seeing. Idris had overheard Shereen talking on the phone to Ebony about Kain and Mahogany. His age slipped out of her mouth but Idris didn't hear that part. He only heard, 'Maggie's got a boyfriend! She's growing up too fast'. He didn't hear the 'he's older than her!' He pulled Maggie aside and now she's gotta listen to his bullshit.

"You're too young for a boyfriend." Idris shook his head.

"I don't get it." Mahogany said.

"You don't get what? Tell me and I'll start again.".

"Nah, I don't get why it's wrong me to have a boyfriend when you and mama had Terell at 16. It's wrong for me to be in a relationship but Prince had Pryce at 17. It's wrong for me to be seeing someone when Terell started hustling at 12!" Mahogany snapped.

"Don't you speak to me in that tone, young lady!" Idris' nostrils flared.

"I'm sorry dad but I'm not a young girl anymore. I'm not that baby that you carried 17 years back. I'm a big girl, a grown woman! I can see who I want to see or do what I want to do. I know right from wrong, I won't do anything stupid." She huffed.

"How old is he?" Idris ran his hands down his face.

"Uh.." Mahogany managed to get out.

She was panicking and didn't know what to do or say. She tried thinking of something quick but nothing came to mind. If she told Idris that Kain was younger than her then, he'll find him and talk to him. If she mentions that he's older, he'll find him, talk to him and kill him. He made a face waiting for her to talk.

"He's..uh-" She closed her eyes.

"Old enough to see our daughter.." Shereen walked into the kitchen.

Mahogany smiled small, "Don't you think that's enough. Leave Maggie alone, Idris. She's right, she has a point. She's not our baby girl anymore and we can't hold on to that any longer. You keep on doing this and you'll only chase her away. You keep on dwelling on her dating life and next thing you know, she'll be married." Shereen said calmly.

"Let her do whatever she wants to do. Wasn't that us back when we were younger?" She added.

"...Yeah..." Idris looked at Maggie who seemed a little scared.

"Maggie, you go ahead. Idris, we need to talk." Shereen said walking back into the living room.

Mahogany picked up her phone from the island and walked out of the kitchen, leaving Idris defeated. He just wasn't ready to let her go into the real world. He was still holding on to her, tightly. He doesn't want her heart broken like Shereen's. He broke her heart and he regrets it everyday. Mahogany huffed and called Daina.