chapter fourteen

"Ronald?" The door to Ronald's hospital room creaks open and Ronald scowls, his green eyes meeting William's.

"What?" He asks bitterly, "Did you come to remind me that I can't be with her?" His voice cracks and tears begin to well up in his eyes at the thought of Amber. William sighs and Ronald clenches his fingers in frustration; why is he even here? Ronald is tempted to throw something ---anything---at the dark haired reaper, even his glasses.

"Ronald, we need to tal-" William is cut off when Ronald whips his pillow at him, feathers exploding into the air and drifting to the ground. Glaring at Ronald, William can truly see what a mess the blonde is, "Feeling better?" He asks, gesturing to the pillow on the floor.

"Not really." Ronald says, forcing a tight smile, "But if you were to let me use Grell's chainsaw..." The sentence fades away, unfinished,  and William sighs, pinching the bridge of his nose.

"When you are released from this place, stop by my office." He says, "There is something I need to speak with you about." He steps out of the room and closes the door behind him, just as Ronald throws a second pillow in his direction.

~~~~~~~

"So Gery, how are you on this perfectly terrible night?" Amber asks, leaning against the windowsill. She watches as crystalline rain drops smash against the window; the night is gloomy, matching Amber's mood with accuracy. No more tears fall; she is sure she had cried herself out. Her room is dimly lit, the flickering light from the candles providing her with just enough light to see the little grey mouse curled up on her pillow. Grey's pink nose twitches and he stares up at her with his tiny black eyes. A sigh escapes Amber's lips as she walks away from the window, falling onto the bed. She lays on her stomache, her head resting on her arms, "Yeah, I know." She says glumly, flipping onto her back, "This is beyond terrible; it might as well be the end of the world."

The doorbell chimes and Amber buries her face into her blankets. Lately, Ciel has been getting many guests---most of which are business men wishing to get money from him. She can hear low mummers coming from downstairs, then silence.

"Amber!" Ciel's voice calls out from behind her door. He pounds on the wood with his fist.

"What is it Ciel?" She asks in a sharp voice, "Can this wait? I am currently moping and talking to a mouse."

"I am afraid it can't Amber." Ciel replies, "There's a young boy at the door. He claims that he is your brother."

"I'm sorry, what?" Amber inquires, her lips curling into a frown; her brother? It can't be...

"He's a young dark-haired lad with a cane." Ciel says, "He's waiting downstairs with Sebastian."

"Hold on." Amber leaps off the bed and runs her fingers through her tangled hair. Grey gives an irritated sqeak as she flings the door open, Ciel nearly stumbling through the doorway. As Amber races down the steps, her bare feet slapping against the tiles, two things are on her mind:

Ronald and her brother...

~~~~~~~

"Please refrain from touching that." Sebastian says with contained irritation, watching as the small boy reaches for a porcelain vase. His hands stop, his fingers mere millimeters away from the delicate piece of art, "Young Sir, do not touch that." Sebastian says louder and the boys jumps as if startled, drawing his hand to his chest, his face turning rosy.

"S-sorry s-ir." He stammers uneasily. He is very curious, with lambent blue eyes that suck in every detail, from the heavily carved furniture to the white roses in vases; well watered with not a single bruise. He has curling dark hair with silver streaks, his face startlingly pale. A small jade cane is gripped in his thin fingers and he leans against it, swaying slightly like a reed in the wind. He is much younger than Master Ciel; maybe around eight or nine. Feet patters against tiles, stopping behind them. The boy turns and peers past Sebastian, his expression brightening, "Amber!" He flies past Sebastian and throws himself to the shell shocked girl. Sebastian stands, silent, as Amber's face turns from sadness to confusion, and then to slight joy. She wraps her arms around the boy protectively.