chapter four

The air is frigid and the wind is bitterly slapping Ciel's cheek as he and the young Inspector wait at the steps of The Undertaker's funeral parlor. Sebastian had ushered the two of them outside and onto the streets of London after receiving his orders to make The Undertaker laugh. Ciel sighs, lazily watching as people pass by his, living normal lives. An ache evolves in Ciel's chest as he thinks back to the days before his parents' death; the days before his capture by the cult and his contract with Sebastian...he yearns for the ordinary life, he longs for a time where he doesn't have to conceal his dark secret from everyone: even his fiance, Elizabeth Midford is unaware of Ciel's contract and Sebastian's true identity. Ciel furrows his brows. Do the servants even know? If not, surely they must suspect something. Ciel is aware of the fact that  his servant are too, hiding secrets from him: The gardener, Finny, is unusually strong, the maid, Mey Rin is extremely near-sighted and clumsy but when it comes to anything involving distance, she is a true opponent. Also, the cook, Bardroy, cannot even cook and tends to use dynamite and his flame thrower more often than not. It is strange that Sebastian has chosen the most incapable people to serve him, it makes him wonder whether his servants are really servants at all...

"Ciel?" abberline's voice pulls Ciel out of his daze and the by turns to the Inspector, his teeth bared in a snarl.

"What?" He snaps and he watches as Abberline pulls his brows together, studying the Earl. Ciel fidgets, feeling slightly uncomfortable under Abberline's curious gaze, "Why are you looking at me like that?"

"I was thinking," Abberline says slowly, as if carefully considering his choice of words. Ciel mirrors him and frowns.

"About what?"

"Well, about Sebastian."  Ciel tenses, feeling his pulse quicken. Is this fool of an Inspector really smart enough to figure out Sebastian's true identity? surely he can't be.

"I apologize in advance if you have a liking to him; he already has a certain red head fawning over him and his every movement." Abberline flushes, the blood rushing to his cheeks as he makes a sputtering noise.

"You thought that I was...good grief I'm not...if you are implying that I...absolutely not!" He stammers. Ciel sends that Inspector a smug look, observing him as he attempts to compose himself.

"Sebastian is taking dreadfully long."  Ciel mutters under his breath, glancing over his shoulder and at the entrance to The Undertaker's shop, "It is unlike him."

"Sebastian is no ordinary butler, am I correct?" Abberline asks inquisitively, following Ciel's gaze. The Earl can feel the blood in his veins turn to snow at Abberline's words; this Inspector is smarter than he appears to be.

"Only the best can serve the Phantomhives." Ciel replies curtly, glad that Abberline has never met his other troublesome servants.

"Oh, of course Ciel, but what I meant was-" High pitched laughter erupts from within the funeral parlor, cutting Abberline off. Ciel gives a mental sigh of relief, hoping that Abberline will temporarily forget about their conversation, at least, until he comes with a proper reason as to why Sebastian is such a good butler. The door to The Undertaker's flies open and Sebastian appears in the doorway. Smiling, he drops into a bow. Behind him, The Undertaker is on the ground, his form heaving with laughter as he rolls around the filth layering the ground. His long silvery hair is covered in grime and his black robes are streaked with dust.

" I'll tell you anything!" The ditsy man cries in between laughing fits, "Anything!" Ciel's eyes drift back to his butler as the demon straightens, his ruby eyes gleaming.

"My Lord." He says, his eyes reflecting off the sunlight, looking like deep pools of blood. Abberline's jaw falls open when he sees The Undertaker on the ground.