chapter six

Ronald idly taps his finger against the surface of his desk. He gazes at Amber from across the classroom, leaning back in his seat so that he can properly see her face. She turns her head and their eyes lock. A light dust of pink graces her cheeks as she smiles warmly at him, and Ronald can feel his own face heating up. The hairs on the back of his neck rise and Ronald can feel a second pair of eyes on him. He turns away and his eyes land on Amber's peppy roommate, catching the small girl in the act of turning away from him. Her cheeks glow as she brushes strands of her vibrant red hair over her face. Beside her Ryan is staring blankly at the wall, his face knitted in concentration as his mind wanders.

"Welcome students." The door to the classroom is thrown open and it hits the wall with an ear-splitting thud. Ronald flinches at the sound, tensing his muscles, watching warily as a tall spindly-looking man strides through the doorway, his being radiating pride and authority. Ronald can feel Grey fidget uncomfortably in his pocket and the blonde reaper grits his teeth in an attempt to conceal his uneasiness. The man walks over to the front of the class with the deadly grace of a lion hunting prey. All eyes are on him now, watching and waiting for this mysterious man to speak, "I am your new Headmaster and you are to address me as Sir."  He speaks with purpose, reminding Ronald of the way William would speak to the younger reapers-in-training. It always annoyed him for some reason.

The new Headmaster is tall and thin. His skin has a grey tint to it and his veins are dark patterns on his neck and arms. His lips are bloodless and his eyes are the colour of the sky before a storm. Ronald also can't help but notice that he is all skin and bones.

Something isn't right...

Ciel stands by the window, squinting into the sunlight. His mind is a whirlwind of thoughts, all connected to the story The Undertaker told him. He watches with grim amusement as Finny races through the garden in pursuit of a couple of birds. He turns away from the window with a sigh, feeling his head pound angrily. Without thought, he pulls off his eye-patch concealing his contract mark. He holds it in his hand, running his fingers over the thick material before allowing it to slip through his fingers like water. Suddenly, the temperature in the room drops and goose bumps decorate his pale skin.

"You have grown up too fast." The blood in Ciel's veins freeze as a soft, wispy voice floats through the air. It's impossible, it can't be her... "Oh dear Ciel, I'm so sorry this happened to you." The air in front of Ciel shimmers like a mirage and she appears between on breath and the next.

"M-madame Red." Ciel whispers, feeling his chest contract. His mind is screaming, telling him how impossible this is, how he should get Sebastian...anyone. But he can't. His feet feel as heavy as lead and his voice hitches when he speaks, "B-but..."

"Oh Ciel." His deceased aunt murmurs, lifting a gloved hand to his cheek. Her fingers linger millimeters away from his face and she draws back with a sigh. She looks almost as if she were alive: her short-cut red hair framing her pale face, her crimson eyes brimming with emotion. The only difference is that her dress is stained with blood, her cheeks are tear-stained and she appears to be more fragile and delicate, "You are all in danger." Madame Red says, taking a step back. She seizes in her nephew, her gaze lingering on his contract mark. He shivers uncomfortably.

"What do you mean?" Ciel inquires, moving toward her with difficulty. Something is holding him back, almost as if a million invisible hands are shoving him away. 

"I can't tell you everything," Madame Red says, a flash of guilt crossing her features, "But something will happen. And Ciel?" Again, she lifts a trembling hand to him, only to pull away. A single crimson tear-drop escapes her eye, "I am sorry for what I have done. I hope you can forgive me..." She begins to fade away, a cold wind filling the room and chilling Ciel to the bone, "I love you my nephew."