chapter eight

"Ryan Phicer, Ryan Phicer..." William shifts through a pile of files, his fingers flipping through each one with abnormal speed. Grell hovers over his shoulder, his face a mask of lazy contempt as he watches William.

"Oh Will darling," He hums, twirling a strand of his crimson hair with his fingers, "This is dreadfully dull, and as much as I adore being near you, I must say that this is boring."  William pulls his lips into a thin line as his bright emerald eyes scan the names imprinted on each file.

"Mr. Sutcliff, " He says, without glancing up at the red head, slight irritation tinting his voice, "If you are not going to help, than I suggest you leave." Grell huffs and leans his head on William's shoulder and William shifts to the side, allowing Grell to slip forward. A whine escapes Grell's lips as he regains his balance.

"It's Miss. Sutcliff." The red head says, flipping his bright hair over his shoulder, "And don't be so cold to me; you're being just like my darling Bassy!" William tenses, his fingers hovering millimeters above the files,

"Do not compare me to that demon scum." He hisses through his teeth, his voice sharper than usual. Grell whimpers, stepping away from the dark-haired reaper. 

"S-sorry Will." He stammers. William huffs with exasperation and returns to his searching, "Um, Will darling?"

"Not your darling." William mutters and Grell scowls bitterly.

"How rude! Speaking to a lady like that." William snorts lightly and Grell crosses his arms over his chest, "It's true!" He exclaims. The room lapses into silence and Grell flutters his hands nervously, "Why are you even looking for Ryan Phicer's file anyway?" William glances up from his searching and his eyes meet Grell's. It takes all of Grell's will power to prevent himself from gazing into William's mesmerizing eyes; sure, all grim reapers have the same green orbs, but William's eyes are cold and mysterious.

"After asking around and doing research, I have gathered one very vital clue connecting to the deaths occurring at the boarding school Ronald and his human friend are inspecting." Grell nods slowly, the blood colouring his porcelain cheeks as his eyes travel to William's lips,

"And what would that be Will darling?" William's gaze hardens and Grell tugs at the collar of his shirt nervously.

"There is a Ryan Phicer at the school. I believe that it is a demon masquerading as him...possibly the same one that caused Ryan's death years ago." Grell drops his hand and pulls his lips back, revealing his white, pointed teeth.

"Oh, another demon?" He says inquisitively. His fingers travel to his chin, "I wonder if he is as dashing as my Bassy!" William clenches his jaw at the mention of Earl Phantomhive's demon butler. Upon seeing this, Grell's smile widens, "Is someone jealous?" He nudges William teasingly and William lashes out, smacking Grell across the cheek. Grell staggers back, his hand flying to the red mark on his face, "So cold!" He says with a gasp, his voice barely audible, "I like it when my men play hard to get." William throws his eyes to the ceiling in annoyance as Grell throws his arms around his neck. For a brief second, all William can see is red.

"William?" The door to the office creaks open and a mess of blonde hair appears through the doorway. Untangling himself from Grell's arms, William lifts himself off his chair and strides over to Eric, the red head drifting a pace behind him.

"Mr. Slingby." He says, "What brings you here?"

"I found what you're looking for." Eric pulls out a file from behind his back and holds it out. William gingerly takes the file into his hands, scanning the name written on the top left corner: Ryan Christopher Phicer. With a flick of his wrist, the file flips open and William quickly reads through the first sheet, his blood running cold in his veins, "William? Is everything okay?" Shoving the file back to Eric, William adjusts his glasses, reaching for the death scythe propped against the wall.

"Mr. Slingby, Mr. Sutcliff, we have work to do." His fingers tighten around the pair of hedge clippers in his grasp, "And we have to hurry or dozens of people will die unscheduled deaths."

"Mr. Knox, Miss. Dawson?" Amber hesitantly pulls away from Ronald, her cheeks streaked with shimmering tears. She can feel Ronald's form tense as the new Headmaster strides over to them with the deadly grace of a lion, hands folded behind his back. His swallowtail coat hangs loosely off his form, almost as if it is a couple sizes too big for him, "Please, follow me." Amber untangles herself from Ronald, lacing her fingers through his. She gives his hand a reassuring squeeze as they turn to follow the spindly man down the twisting hallways, their footsteps ricocheting off the walls jarringly. Goose-bumps appears on her skin as they pass large portraits hanging from the wall, each face somber with sharp gazes. She leans toward Ronald, taking comfort in his scent: ash.

"Sir, where exactly are we going?" Ronald inquires, his tone weary. The Headmaster chuckles deeply and waves the question off with a wave of his hand. And that's when she sees it.

His hand causes Amber to nearly lose her composure, if she could call it a hand. The flesh is thin and Amber catches sight of the pale bone underneath. Some parts don't even have flesh and instead, there is the dry, decaying muscle where skin should be. Whatever skin there is, is an ugly greyish-green... She bites back a yelp, her finger's tightening over Ronald's.

"Ronnie...his, his hand..." Her voice is barely audiable but she knows that Ronald heard her because he pulls to a stop. The Headmaster throws a glance over his shoulder, his lips pulled into a frown.

"Come now." He says, his voice sharp and demanding. Ronald pulls his hand away from Amber's and steps protectively in front of her.

"Well, well." He says, a smirk playing on his lips, "You knew I was a reaper, but I didn't know that you are dead."

Hey, sorry for the late update!!!!!!! I know it's short and all but my friend's b-day is in two and a half weeks and I really want to finish the Thorns of Death for her, so please please please read it and give me feedback because she is crazy about reading and I want to make it good.

XxxxX

TheAngelOfMusic27