Chapter 5 - Batsi Beach

Start from the beginning

"I think I forgot to mention that Andros has really cold waters," the little bastard says before diving and splashing me all over again.

This time I don't hesitate and dive in myself. It takes me about five seconds to get used to the water and then I can only enjoy its coolness. I watch Andrew swimming a good 20 feet away and back, water droplets caught on his eyelashes.

"How do you like it so far?" He asks, taking his damp hair away from his eyes.

"It's gorgeous. The view is amazing. And the combination of such colors together is just...ugh. Gorgeous. And the rocks on the right are as if they want us to climb them, don't you think?" I half state, half ask, lifting my eyes to look at him pleadingly. "Can we?"

Andrew sighs, before pointing at him and saying:

"You step only where I step, okay? I want to return you home in one piece."

I grin and nod enthusiastically. I then follow him to the base of the rocks where you can climb on them and begin moving my feet where he places his. The rock is slippery because of the constant water on it and the mosses that have grown there but I finally manage to pull myself upwards. Behind me, curtains of μεταξάκια, with their fuchsia flowers peeking. I cut one and place it gently on the water, watching it go by where the sea commands it to.

"You're such a romantic," he whines playfully, climbing higher on the large rock besides me, almost daring me to follow him. I do.

"And you're an asshole!" I cry, lifting my weight with my hands and feet to reach the top. The rock is smooth, making it difficult to climb but when I finally make it, it is worth everything.

"And why is that?" He asks, his dark chocolate eyes staring back at me, almost smiling.

"Do you even remember my name?"

"Of course. Blondie."

...

Three hours have passed since we reached the beach. Three hours full of splashing, playing in the water or the sand, joking but mostly talking. I've learned he's a Capricorn, an only child, like me, his favorite band is Nirvana and his favorite color is azure blue. He lives in Athens, Egaleo, with his parents and his dog, Athos, a Greek shepherd who is both funny and clumsy. I've told him about my friend Kat, my obsession with movies and writing, my life in Salem and our new house there, that resembles an old witch's refuge, my cat Yzma, my favorite Disney movie, Tangled and my wish to fall in love with someone like Eugene.

The water is cooler now, sending shivers to my whole body, even though I have only my legs in it. I wear my Rolling Stones crop top over my floral bikini and stand up. Andrew has put on his t-shirt back and we're ready to go explore Batsi.

"So, we begin from the famous restaurant Cavo D'Oro, named by that special cape where the sea is always angry. Beware, Blondie, of the mighty pirates who rule these places! Thieves and beggars never-" He begins chanting in an old pirate's voice but I continue the familiar song before he's able to finish it:

"Never shall we die," I half whisper half chant, looking at him with my lids lowered over my eyes, full of mystery.

"Someone's studied, huh?"

"I'm in love with Captain Davy Jones, what can I say? What do Andros's pirates steal?"

"Pretty girls like you. Be careful Blondie, because those long hair could attract a filthy pirate," he jokes, taking a lock of my hair and swirling it around his finger.

"I wouldn't mind if he had tentacles," I chuckle.

"What can I say, everyone has their vice."

The next hour and a half is a blur of names and places and people and smells and food and Andrew. I don't feel as if I know him from forever, I feel as if I found a new best friend in his face, one that I'm beginning to know better. His blush, his grins, everything about him is screaming freedom. I feel as if I'm ready to fly when he shows me something hidden behind a big café, something only known to us. How movie-esque.

At 9 o'clock we reach Gelaterie where four to five people are inside, laughing and eating. Andrew notices me looking inside, so he drags me in, telling me to order from Gina, the girl inside. We end up each with a cone, mine with cherry and mango sorbé ice cream, and his with dark chocolate and tangerine. With our cones in hand, we begin strolling down the port, full with yachts and fish-boats.

"So, what did you like most from everything I shown you?" Andrew asks, his whole attention to his ice-cream.

"Will you hate me if I say that everything is in a blur right now?" I reply and extend my hand to touch the sail of the boat next to me.

"I'll do my best," he jokes and finishes his ice-cream.

"Well, what time is it? I should get going, 5 hours is a long time missing, for sure," I exhale and throw my napkin into the closest bin.

"You don't say? Where do you stay?"

"Near the big stair, at Villa Anastasia, you know it?"

"Sure. I'll walk you there," he offers immediately.

"It's really no big deal, I can walk on my-" I begin to say but he interrupts me:

"No way. It is really dark there, I can't let you go there on your own, can i?" He looks at me, his eyes serious.

"It's 73 stairs!"

"I don't care," he says, making me melt a little inside.

"Okay, then. Lead the way, pirate boy," I shrug.

"Only if you'll be my Tia Dalma," he chuckles and we begin our way back.

...

Only an hour later, when I'm on my bed, reading the Black Swan to sleep, do I realize that Tia Dalma was Davy Jones's love interest. And that there is a chance that the cute cashier of the Gelaterie actually likes me.

Αλμυρίκια -> (almirikia) a Greek tree, growing near beaches and on the sand.

Μεταξάκια-> (metaxakia) a Greek clinging plant with fuchsia flowers.