Chapter 2 - 86 Stairs

Hey sweeties! Jenny here! So, second chapter of 60 Flavors, hope you like it! :) :) :)

I dump my suitcase next to my bed, checking out the small room simultaneously. Mum and Dad are in the room next to mine which is connected with my own by a common door. White walls, a bed with a blue skeleton and white sheets, a small desk and a chair. Above me; a white fan that cools the place restlessly since I've set my foot in here. Across my bed, a door that leads to the balcony. And, oh, the view! I've never seen such blue waters in my whole life. I guess it won't be that bad, after all.

"Amber!" I hear my mum's voice from the common door. I open it to find a room similar to mine, only slightly bigger and with an extra bed.

"Is everything all right?" She asks; looking at me from the pile of clothes she's folding.

"Yeah, I checked the bathroom and everything seems to be in order", I reply watching the outside scenery.

"Okay, then. So, did you like Mr and Mrs Athanasopoulos?"

"Well, they seem like nice people. But won't I have some free time to explore the island on my own? I don't want to be bound to you guys, for the next month", I say, picking at my nails.

"Of course, honey, I understand and I don't expect you to be with us 24/7 but you should spend an hour at least with our friends. It's not polite to completely ignore them. And I want you to have your cell phone with you all the time. And, be careful. Okay, Amber?" She asks and looks at my dad to make sure he's on her side. As if.

"Yes, honey, you're right. I'm sure that Amber, here, doesn't want to be grounded for life so she'll follow all of your advice. After all, we aren't being unreasonable, are we?" He interferes.

"Of course not. Now, mum, Dad and I want to go for ice-cream, you wanna come?" I ask her, motioning at my dad to get up from the bed he's laying on and get going.

"No, sweetie, I'd rather stay here. I'm not feeling very well", she refuses and continues to fold her clothes and put them in the closet. Her brown curls are tied up in a ponytail and she is wearing a pair of shorts. I wonder when she changed her clothes.

"Okay, sure. See ya later then", I wave at her and get out of the room, climbing down the stairs to get out of the small hotel. I can hear Dad taking his time.

After saying goodbye to the old lady who's the owner of the hotel, we begin going down the infinite stairs that lead down to Batsi. 86 stairs. I counted them one by one.

As we roam through the crowded narrow streets I cast my eyes on a beautiful pair of dream catcher earrings which are on the display of a store. I take them in my hands, running my fingers over the thin lace and grabbing 10€ from my pocket to go and pay for them. To say I'm in love with these earrings would be an understatement and, knowing my self, they are going to stay my favourite for at least two months.

Dad smiles when he sees me walking out of the store with the small paper bag that contains my new earrings. I rarely ask for things for myself and he's happy when I buy something that will make its circle before being capacitated.

"What did you get?" He asks, offering me his arm.

"A pair of earrings", I reply and accept his gentleman's offer. His arm, I mean.

We continue our walk through the sunny streets, commenting on the strong wind that's blowing and my unlucky choice of clothes, as I'm wearing a high waist pair of printed shorts and a crop top with one of my favourite bands.

Dad continues to tease me about Nick Athanasopoulos and how I should get a taste for Greek Gods, I keep bugging him off and we go that way until he shows me the little ice-cream parlor that is embed at a recess of the wall. I recognize the freshly painted sign over its door and the name of the parlor, Gelaterie, as the one in the card that mystery boy gave me. From the outside, it doesn't look very special. A rather small parlor which cannot compare to the industrialized one we saw at the beginning of the street. The dust on its windows contrasts with the fresh paint and the flowers that are placed in each table.

I faintly hear Dad's ringtone from his side. He answers it reluctantly; motioning me to get inside and choose for him. I leave him behind as I linger on the parlors' door admiring the wonderful view once again.

When I finally get inside the first thing that draws my attention is Nirvana's song, About A Girl. I turn towards the small speakers, tapping my hand on my thigh unconsciously and following the rhythm of the song.

The second thing I notice is the greatest variety of ice cream flavours I've ever cast my eyes to. Their smell mixes with one another creating a wonderful scent of fruits, chocolate and everything else that is sweet. Scanning the rows of the colorful desserts, I make a quick multiplication, finding them to be almost 60. And that's a hell of a great number.

"So, Blondie, what can I get you?"