Chapter 9 - Full Moon

Okay, so this was a very emotional chapter for me, because sometimes I can really identify with Amber and she's one character I weave my thoughts into. It also gets really poetic, blame that on my writing it at 3.30 AM last night and being emotional af. Enjoy :)

________________________________________________________________________________

The next couple of days pass pretty quickly. I get my period, something that almost makes me cry because I won't be able to swim for the next four or five days, but Andrew makes up for it by not freaking out when I tell him (something that causes me amazement!) and insisting we can still see the island and especially Batsi without getting in the water. So he shows me the small forest that rests in between St. Phillip's church and the rest of the village, we eat lots of ice-cream and we hang out at his house, or the beach, or pretty much anywhere, to be frank. I've come to the conclusion that I definitely like him and I'm not entirely sure but I believe he sees me as more than a friend too. His eyes often linger on my own for more than needed and he seems to like holding my hand or hugging me at random times. Kat says he definitely likes me. But Kat hasn't met him so she could be over enthusiastic about the fact I'm maybe going to have a summer romance.

Today has been a rather lazy day. Dad, Mom and I stayed in bed till late, just relaxing, kicking back and enjoying the summer breeze coming from outside. I boiled some spaghetti, Mom made a three-ingredient tomato sauce and we ate in the balcony, in the simplest way possible. They had even thought of not going to the beach but I convinced them not to lose their daily swim so by six o'clock in the afternoon they had packed up their swimming suits and drove to St. Kyprianos, leaving me alone for the next hour till I meet Andrew at the Gelaterie. I decided to read a chapter or two of the book I was reading, Virginia Woolf's The Waves by the beach, so I dressed up and went down the Big Stair for the millionth time in these ten days.

Once I reached the beach, I picked a spot near a big tree and laid my towel, taking off my shirt and laying in the sand, opening my book and getting lost in Woolf's words. Apparently, I got too lost because next time I check my phone to see the time is already seven thirty and Andrew must be waiting for me. I get up hurriedly and dust myself off, setting a fast pace to get to the Gelaterie as soon as possible. But when I get there, there is only the girl with the tired eyes inside, something that makes me wonder if I got the time of our meet up wrong. I decide to ask the girl first and not overthink about it as I'm about to. She says he left ten minutes ago, after his shift was over and I choose to sit outside and wait for him, as I don't think he'd leave without telling me.

Indeed, in about ten minutes he appears running from the white stairs next to Gelaterie. He almost misses the last step but he finds his posture quick and searches anxiously for something or someone. His eyes stop at me and he sighs with relief, walking towards me while ruffling his hair.

"I'm so sorry I'm late, how long were you waiting for me?" He asks and gives me a quick hug before looking inside the Gelaterie, at a vinyl clock placed on a brick wall. "God, I'm awful."

I chuckle before reassuring him it was fine and that I wasn't waiting for too long as I lost track of time myself, reading in the beach for more than an hour.

"Plans for today?" I ask him and he tries to hide his smile by biting on the inside of his cheek. His hands go back to his hair, something I realized he does whenever he's anxious about something.