How Did I Get Here...

Gideon looked around him; it was night as the shadows were lost from the walls around his cell. He had let himself get careless and now everything he cared about in the world was about to be destroyed. He had left his home in the Vale as a favor to a friend. Now he was facing death after joining the wrong side of a war. He only wished he had the power to stop the man who caused all of his problems when he had the chance.

Varansi, Gideon hated that man, more any other creature he had come across, but without him, Gideon would have never met her.

She was a different story, the women he would give his life for, had given his life for. Where had it all gone wrong?

Gideon used his last moments to recall the memories of the people that had changed his life.  

** ** **

Several weeks earlier…

Clouds danced across the sky, Gideon loved these afternoons. He laid out in the grass watching the sky through the trees. Barely a man of 18, he would be running part of the kingdom by now if he were still the Dukes son, instead of the orphaned mongrel chased into the woods by those religious fanatics who burned down his home.

But that was 6 years ago, now he hung his cap in the middle of the infamous cursed, haunted, monster filled, scary as all get out forest called the Vale.

With a flick of his wrist, his magic threw him comfortably to his feet. He was very talented at two particular magic’s. The first: advanced telekinesis, or more frankly moving things at will without any incantation or hesitation.

Wait... something was wrong, a malevolent presence had entered his forest and disturbed the creatures. The wind shivered with the vibe of bloodlust. The animals sensed it, and he could tell because of the shifted flight of the birds of the forest. The worst part was that the presence was moving in the direction of his cottage.

He launched himself off the ground into the air and made his way through the forest leaping and swinging through the trees from the hill he had used to watch the sky. He moved silently as he practically flew along the perimeter of his home checking all the scarecrows that stood by as motionless guardians. None had been disturbed, yet still he was worried.

Once he had finished checking the scarecrows he made his way to the center of the perimeter where his cottage was. It was his late master’s cottage. His master was a poor hedge witch that took him in when Gideon stumbled through the forest scared and orphaned. He was a kind old man, and friends with Gideon’s father. He instantly recognized Gideon when he saw him, and when he discovered Gideon’s potential for magic, he began instructing Gideon as best he could.

He taught him mostly medicinal magic’s, for which Gideon had little talent or patience. Potions and poultices where a different story which is where his excelled and learned practical application of telekinesis. Talent was only part of it. It was his keen sense of laziness drove his telekinesis. He did not want to go to get ingredients, why should he when he could just summon them to him. Of course, his master did not approve of his pupil taking short cuts with magic but with Gideon’s sudden proficiency, he let it slide. Within weeks, Gideon could cast the spell without the incantation, a few more weeks without looking.

His second talent was a little more complicated.

He had rows of vegetables scattered around his property. Watered by the creek that ran alongside the small building he called his cottage.

"Hey, Jack!" Gideon called.

A scarecrow perched in a nearby tree tilted and fell to the ground landing on its feet, and rushed limply to Gideon’s side. It was the ability animate inanimate objects. It was an uncommon ability according to his master, which meant he had to develop it more on his own. Since scarecrows were already around to protect the crops, he decided to start with them. Jack was the cream of the crop. It was sturdier and better finished than the rest. More than that Jack was his friend, at least as much of a friend a silent walking scarecrow could be. He had not figured out how to get them to talk yet, but they were able to respond to commands and do monotonous task... like weeding. At the same time, they made great listeners.

"Something is coming Jack, an ill presence has entered the vale." It was the feeling that drove him from his relaxation. "Something evil by the way the forest curls at their presence."

Gideon went inside the cottage and strapped on his father's old sword, "prepare your brother's Jack, we will be having company soon."