Chapter 11

Clearwater Shopping Complex.

By the time the first shots rang out, my rifle was held to my shoulder, with the red dot on my target, a PRF soldier among a mass of PRF soldiers. Just like the everyone on the playing field, his weapon was raised as well.

I was on autopilot.

My senses were through the roof. Even through my gloves I could feel the smooth metallic texture of the trigger. My vision narrowed, the front sight in focus. My ears caught every sound, from the rattling of exchanging gunfire to McCord's rifle chambering a new round. Smell? Well, all you can smell is the stinging sensation of smoke and gunpowder.

I pulled the trigger twice.

Two rounds shot out of the barrel, and flew straight into the PRF soldier's chest.

The first round sliced through his torso while the second made sure he stayed down.

The man collapsed. His legs unable to hold up his entire body weight.

I traversed my rifle towards the left and sighted up on another target. I pulled the trigger again. Like the last soldier, he was out of the fight, for good.

Sharpnel whizzed right past my face. The sharp crack of bullets breaking the sound barrier whipped my eardrums as they missed over my head. Leaves rained and twigs snapped as gunfire shredded the trees and bushes, sending pieces of wood into my body. But I held my ground, making more corpses with each trigger pull.

The sound of Jackson's SAW screamed as he put long bursts of lead down range. Tracer from his weapon went from left to right, then right to left again, cutting down several.

Then, from the sea of chaotic gunfire, someone yelled, "ROCKET!"

A loud thum was punctuated by an even louder boom that followed.

On the left side, several bodies of our enemies were sent flying into the air. Behind them, their APC was blewn to smithereens as its hatches slammed open violently, flames spewing out of them. The two rear doors of the APC ejected some of it's contents, including limbs and bodies. The strong force lobbed a hail of metal that sliced any who dared to stand near the blast radius.

The combined fire of 1st platoon took out many, if not most of the entire PRF soldiers ahead, clearing the path straight to the entrance.

Then suddenly, more than a dozen PRF troops poured out from the entrance. The enemy smashed past glass windows and stumbled over their dead, firing back at those responsible for the death of their comrades.

"More targets!" I could hear Jackal yelling, which prompted the squad to raise our rate of fire. The rattling of gunfire grew faster and faster, more sporadic than before as the rest of the platoon did the same.

More PRF soldiers came. For every men we gunned down, another would take his place. I lost count the number of men I knew I dropped.

Before I knew it, my rifle was just firing from an empty chamber.

I went down on a low crawl next to Midnight, who was also reloading his rifle.

He rolled over to his side, facing me. The lips behind the mask moved, as if he was saying something. But under the noise of gunfire, I can't hear shit.

"What?!" I yelled, gesturing at my ear.

His mask moved again, this time it looked as if he was screaming at the top of his lungs. With Jackson not letting up, the SAW's gunfire pretty much drowned out his voice.

Jeez, the ear protection were suppose to amplify soft sounds, but here we are.

I leant closer, "What?!"