Chapter 3: Planetfall

Euphoria, Phi System
Colony Sector 2190, aka. The Frontline
January 15th, 2624 AD
0900 hours, Galactic Standard Time

With the light of hundreds of bright azure flashes, the Tempest broke out of jump before the PRF secondary battle fleet, weapons ready.

Captain Johnson stood at the bridge's reinforced windows and observed the unstoppable hull of the Stormbringer maneuver itself towards the titanic cluster of the PRF fleet. Between the Tempest and the enemy was a vast debree field, mostly remnants from the planetary defense fleet and the orbital factories that were overran two days ago.

The Tempest Carrier Stike Group was no ordinary escort fleet. It consisted up to one hundred and fifty Excalibur-class destroyers, twenty five Wolf-class destroyers, twenty Wraith-class battleships, four Talon-class carriers and one Titan-class supercarrier. It was perfect for an orbital assault op. Although these numbers seem timid compared to a typical PRF fleet, the USF Navy has more powerful ships compared to her foes, not to mention the presence of supercarriers, which the Rukhovians hardly possessed.

As ordered, the destroyers and dreadnoughts spearheaded the assault, while the Wraith-class battleships and Talon carriers began their long range salvos with their mass drivers and railguns. Johnson kept his eyes on the viewscreen as bluish-white bolts from the railguns darted towards the line of enemy ships.

Alongside her sister ships, the Stormbringer closed in on the enemy. At a whopping price tag of 18 billion galactic credits, the destroyer possessed an impressive arsenal of fifty rapid firing ballistic cannons with an addition of a M-4 Vertical Launch System containing 96 missile cells and a devastatingly immense Mark 42 High Velocity Destroyer-class Railgun concealed within its titanium skin.

"Sir, three Kunloy destroyers are coming in hot on our vector, 1 light second away," Operator Jenkins said from the helm control behind him. Jenkins was the latest addition to the bridge crew. He was recently transferred to this ship almost a month ago. He was meant to replace Sarah on the helm. Johnson hoped Jenkins could live up to the skill and versatility she possessed.

"Tag em'," he ordered. On the surface of the transparent glass windows, three perfect red triangles appeared within the line of enemy ships with their class, speed and numbers indicating their distance. He could see the glare of the sun laying against what seemed to be three enemy Kunloy-class destroyers. Also known as the Type 962, they were the most commonly fielded destroyer in the PRF Navy, often fitted with weaponry suited for close range engagements.

"Power the shields and countermeasures," He said, still staring at the enemy fleet.

"Aye, Captain, arming shields," the operator replied.

"First officer," Johnson called.

"Awaiting orders, sir," the deep voice of First Officer Richard Murphy replied. Through the reflection of the windshield, Johnson could see the First Officer's tall, muscular build standing cold and ready.

"Focus ballistic fire on the centre destroyer. Lock missiles on the remaining two. I want the missiles to fire once we reach effective range," Johnson continued, "2 for each."

"Yes sir." And at the top of his lungs, he yelled, "Weapons check!"

"All weapons locked and ready to engage, We're good to go, sir," Operator Jameson called out from the ballistics section below the bridge's walkway. Jameson on the other hand, was swift and accurate like his ballistic crew under his command. Most of the time, he would prefer firing one of the 120mm guns himself. However, Richard preferred the A.I.'s precise firing solutions rather than appreciating Jameson's excellent combat skill. Though, he could still be a pain in the ass with his daily pranks on the bridge crew and his less than desirable cheeky attitude.