|Encounter|

Prologue

Adri never thought she would move to a new city, it never once crossed her mind that this would happen. But after her mom fled with her away from her abusive father, the only way to stay clear of him, and be sure that they will be safe was to leave the town and move to another city.

Adri and her mom arrived in LA today. She had always wanted to come to LA, but to actually live here wasn't something she wanted to do. She had no choice. If they really want this to work then they had to move to a new city. Her mom had a friend here in whom she confided in, her name was Genny. Adri suspected this woman to be a childhood friend of her mom. And thus she told her everything, she even suggested a list of a few apartments of which they could choose from.

She just graduated from high school and was venturing into college. Her mom agreed that later on in the week, she would apply for one amongst the best. But one they could afford at the moment because their financial state wasn't so good yet.

Aunt Genny suggested she applied for a scholarship into one of the good colleges in town, since academically from what she could see, she was a good student.

Adri was seated in the living room looking through some papers. Her mom spotted her and heaved out a sigh, cause she knew what she was about to tell her was something Adri wouldn't take lightly.

"I want you to move to the hostel." She blurted out, directing her gaze away from Adri's confused one.

"Why?" She asked in confusion.

"I don't want you to feel like you have to be by my side, all your life." She let out a sigh, as she spoke these words.

"I never complained, did I?" She voiced out, wondering what her mom was suggesting this.

"Adri," she stated softly " You've always been my support. You never had the opportunity to live your life. Since you're going to college, I think this would be the right time"

"This is my decision, I know I'm no longer in high school, but I can't allow you to be on your own. He will definitely come here" Adri said frustration lacing her voice.

"Then I will handle him"

"Handle him? You know how relentless and ruthless he is. This is just my first semester anyway, just let me do this" Adri said as she etched closer to where her Mom stood. She was wary, and indifference taking over her features.

"Fine." She queried softly, even though she didn't want this. She knew that no matter how much she convinced Adri she won't still adhere to anything she said.

Adri knew her mom didn't like this, but she wanted to do it. It was going to be hard for them since her mom was yet to find a job. Adri made up her mind to find a job and help with the expenses as well. But her mom wasn't in favor of that idea. After persuading her a little she finally gave in and allowed her. They made it a point to hold on to each other and start afresh. Trying hard to keep the past in the past and move on.

|Encounter|

Adriana's POV

"Adri, you're late" I am faced with my mom's words as I descended down the stairs.

"This isn't high school mom, nobody is going to pull my hair out" I replied back to her with a small smile.

"This is still your first-day young lady, You were given a set time," she said in a joking tone but turned serious when she read the time on the clock.

I kissed my mom on the cheek and mouthed, "Bye, mom" Turning to look at her, she looks pale, her dark brown eyes looking dull and emotionless, her brown hair is coiled up in a disheveled bun. Seeing her like this makes my mood sink.