Chapter 108

(Anna)

I didn't quite know how to describe the feeling. 

It was as if, instead of a snake sheddin its skin, it was climbing into one. 

It didn' t hurt when Lake's body joined with mine, at first anyway. I was just terrified, and shocked. This was the ultimate invasion, and I was nearly powerless to stop it. I couldn't move my body, and I could feel him tickling my mind, trying to find what was locked away there. 

I don't think so, buddy. 

I fought against him. I had sworn to myself that I would never let anyone take control of my mind again. I refused to let Lake latch on. I had dominance of my mind, but not my body. 

It could be worse, I suppose. 

Suddenly, I felt my body turn completely around. I tried to fight against it, but so much of my energy was being used to keep the gates of my mind locked. I was now facing Loki, who was then pushed to his knees by Jamie and Raymen, his arms bent behind his back. He tried to stuggle free, but both men were stronger than his weakened state. 

It was them or him. 

I had refused to make the decision, not because I couldn't. I knew who I would pick. It was a matter of not knowing all the details, of the fine print not even being printed. There had to be something more to all this. And my four adoptive brothers were simply pawns in a very elaborate game of chess. Raymen had said that we could go back to the way things were, that we could live happily together. 

But I knew there was no coming back from this. From all of it. And I highly doubted that whoever had thrown his cards in this infuriating and never-ending game, had something not too enjoyable in mind for the 'winners'. 

Whoever this being was, obviously found me strong and capable of making this decision. And they obviously trusted my judgement. They would agree with whoever I chose to live, simply because they thought I would know who was stronger, who would make me stronger. 

My long-dead brothers back from the dead, or the retired villian I had fallen in love with?

There was no mistaking who I would choose. But would the outcome actually be a reward, or would it be worse than death.

Besides, I couldn't kill my brothers. Forget the fact that they were the epitiome of crazed evil, there were still small parts of my brothers in there. Teagan's leadership, Jamie and Lake's confidence, Raymen's sensitivity. 

And I couldn't kill Loki. The reasons were pretty self-explainatory. There was no way I could do that. I'd never forgive myself. I'd die before that happened. 

I saw Thor out of the corner of my eyes, singularly fighting the remaining group of Hydra members that were on the Bridge. He must have sent the guards to help the villiagers, to protect them. I saw images of the women, children, men, families, shopkeepers, and craftmakers flash across my vision. How many of them were dead. 

And all because of this damn spell. Because of idiot men trying to best each other. And because of demon women who can't just let people live normal, happy lives. Thinking about the women, I stretched my eyes to find them, spotting them chained by their wrists and ankles to the gates, unable to move. 

I was stuck, still unable to move my limbs on my own accord. My head was beginning to hurt from all of the strain against it. 

So what now? Lake took over my body, but for what purpose?

And then I put the puzzle pieces together. 

They wanted me to kill Loki. 

Of course they did. And if I didn't have control over my body, they could make that happen. But if I moved energy into getting my body back, my mind would be invaded, and I would be just as useless. 

That's why they had Loki restrained. Teagan and Harry had moved to either side of Loki, a few feet of distance between them and him.

And then Lake forced my to walk towards Loki.