Chapter 81

(Loki)

I walked slowly through the castle, past the throne room, and out of the main gate.

I breathed in the Asgardian air, but was disappointed to find that it was warmer than usual and that it carried a foul stench. I walked on, crinkly my nose and breathing through my mouth.

I looked down at the kingdom, and saw people, small as aunts happily milling about. It made me smile. The kingdom was prospering, and I'd like to say it was all because of me. But it wasn't. It was because of what Anna had done to me.

Together, we had walked the streets, meeting the citizens. At first, they hid in their houses, terrified to find me anywhere but the local tavern. But when a small child came up to Anna, his mother sternly yelling at him to come back, and gave her a flower, the people slowly came out of their houses when they saw her kneel to the ground in front of the boy giving him a peck in the cheek, thanking him for the delicate plant.

Soon, all the people wanted to meet Anna. She was surprisingly good with them, listened to them, smiled at them, joked with them, gave them suggestions. She absolutely glowed. It made me nervous, because if all the looks I was getting. I tried to stay to the shadows, I didn't want to get in the way or make anyone mad.

At one point a young girl, maybe 8 years old or so, came up to me. I was leaning against a shop, watching Anna at the time. The little girl was dressed in a white dress, her hair in brown curls, falling to her waist. She had her hands behind her back, and she was blushing.

"I think your very handsome, King Loki." She told me.

At first, I just looked around. Many people had stopped to stare at me, some in interest, some in confusion, some in anger, as if I were about to be mean to the child. My eyes caught Anna, and I found her looking at the little girl, the color drained from her face. I realized with a pang in my heart that the child reminded her of Lyla.

I bent down so that my eyes were level with the girl's. "Well thank you." I said gratefully and I reached up and poked her on the nose. "And what is your name child?"

"Annalee." She was swaying back and forth. "But I go by Anna."

"Ah, I see." I lightly touched her shoulder and pointed behind her, "she that woman over there?" she turned, looking at Anna, and nodded. "Well, that woman there is the love of my life, my sun and my stars, and one day I hope to make her my queen, and the mother of my children, if she'll let me close enough." Annalee giggled, putting her hand over her mouth. I smiled, "And you know what? Her name is Anna too, and I think she is the most beautiful thing I've ever laid my eyes on." I stood up, eyeing Annalee suspiciously. "But now I have a theory. Would you like to hear it?" she nodded her head, childishly biting the side of her bottom lip. "Now that I've met you," I paused. "I believe that anyone named Anna is beautiful."

Her smile lit up the entire street, and she ran away, finding her mother near by, yelling, "Mommy, mommy, he told me I was beautiful!"

I looked at Anna, and saw that she had tears in her eyes. She nodded her head at me, and soon people were coming up to me.

They actually talked to me, patted me on the back, invited me to the tavern for a drink later. It was amazing. I felt wanted by a group of people who had never liked me. I ended up sitting down with them at one point, asking what needed to be fixed in the kingdom, and they gladly told me. And I promised them I would fix it. And I did.

Anna and I continued to walk around, hand-in-hand, talking to the people and visiting the shops, buying a few handmade items.

I will never forget that day.

I smiled, remembering it now as I looked at the people below.

Suddenly, the Bifrost began to glow, the gate swirling, meaning we had visitor. Thor, most likely.

But then I heard Heimdall yell in pain, as whoever our visitor was, got closer and closer to Asgard.

Something wasn't right.

I ran towards the gate, my feet pounding on the Bifrost. The gate glowed impossibly bright, Heimdall yelling that we were being intruded.

I ran faster, my arms pumping at my sides.

And then silence.

I froze in my tracks, only a few yards from the entrance to the gate now. It had stopped spinning, meaning our visitor was here. Heimdall was quiet as well, which meant something was terribly wrong.

I slowly inched my way forward towards the entrance, turning my hand into a large ice spear.

As I entered the doorway, I found Heimdall, just standing at his post like he usually did. But behind him were four men.

Four men dressed in gear as red as blood, with masks covering their faces, swords in hand.

They were facing me, and the tall one in the front lifted his head in my direction. His eyes glowed with an evil gleam that I myself had never even possessed.

"Hello." He said. His voice was strong and stern.

"I won't bother asking you where the girl is, so let's just skip that part." The men walked towards me slowly, but I stood my ground, eyeing them. "Instead, I'll just get to the killing you part." I could see him grin beneath his mask.

"Try it." I mocked him.

And then they barreled towards me, bloodlust in their eyes.