Chapter 42

(Anna)

I waited until Loki had left the room before I curled up in a ball on the floor, folding my knees up to my stomach and folding my arms around my legs.

And I cried harder and longer than I had in a very long time.

Because Loki had hit me, slapped me right across the face. And it had hurt, but I've had worse. I'm good with pain. But this was different. It was like the pain reached down deep into my soul and tore it to shreds.

I cried until I fell asleep.

********

When I woke up, whenever that was, my eyes felt heavy and puffy. I tried to wipe away the weariness and the lingering hurt. When my eyes finally adjusted, I noticed that my cell looked different.

There was a new bed, bigger and plusher. There was also a new table, chair, and nightstand. There was even a small pile of books on the nightstand; some of them looked well-loved. When I got up to look at the books, to feel their soft texture, I noticed a corner of a piece of paper sticking out from the bottom of the stack. I pulled it out lightly, so as not to rip it. I looked at the delicate handwriting, knowing I had seen it before, warning me not to eat my food.

To pass the time. --L.

I didn't know whether to cry or smile. Why did I care so much? Why were there all these emotions?It's because he saved me. It had to be. That's a big deal in my books.

At least that's what I told myself.

I decided to sit down with a book on the softest bed I've ever been one. I picked up the one that laid of the top of the stack: I couldn't read all of the words on it, but from what my dad had taught me, I saw the word 'Asgard" and decided it must be some sort of history collection.

I curled up with the book, and fell in love with the intricate, slowly moving pictures. I read as much as I could, with the knowledge I knew. It ended before Loki or his brother had ever been born. I found myself disappointed. I didn't realize that's what I had really been looking for.

But I guess it was only fair. I wouldn't tell him my history, so why should I get to know his?

***********

I sat in my cell, watching the hours, the days, and soon the weeks pass by with not a single visitor pass by other than to give me my three square meals. The meals were the only way I kept track of time.

I had begun to feel the lonliness that I had always feared. I grew anxious and began to pace my cell, just to keep my legs moving. Sometimes, I would lightly mess with my powers. I hadn't used them in 7 years, so I was still fascinated by their beauty and their extraordinary power.

On Day 28, just after lunch, Loki came to visit.

"How'd you like to get out?" He said flatly. And then he took down the shimmering wall.