Chapter 19: Dumbledore's Army

oOo

Veronica marched into Hogsmeade with the Golden Trio that weekend on a mission. Her and Hermione had passed the message along to a few trusted people they knew would be interested in this plan and arranged to meet at the Hog's Head. 

The Hog's Head was a rundown pub on the edge of the village that Veronica never knew existed, but Hermione thought it would be the best place to meet and discuss these lessons as it would be out of the way of potential eavesdroppers. This made sense once they walked in because there was only a couple of people loitering around and none of them looked particularly interested in the teenagers settling around one of the many tables. 

"Who did you say you invited Hermione?" questioned Harry, the boy looking quite nervous as he glances towards the door. "Oh, just a couple of people who were interested" she replied, sharing a look with Veronica as the Hufflepuff knew that a lot more than a couple of people were going to show up. 

Harry's reaction when people began to stream through the front door was quite funny to Veronica, but nothing compared with the look on the old bartender's face who probably has never had this man people in his pub at once before. 

She greeted Ernie and Hannah, who she'd told knowing they were also fed up with Umbridge's teaching methods, but following behind them was Zacharias Smith, who she didn't invite. It was rare for Veronica to admit she didn't like someone, but there was something off with her fellow Hufflepuff. Maybe it was to do with his selfish attitude and the way he treated the people he saw lesser than him, including Veronica. 

Once everyone was in and settled down with a butterbeer each, they turned to face the table the Golden Trio and Veronica were sitting at and silence filled the air as they waited for someone to say something. 

Hermione then stands up to greet everyone and to remind them why they turned up today. As expected there were a few snide remarks from Zacharias, and it didn't take long for the subject of Cedric Diggory to be brought up once Hermione explains defence training would be beneficial to fighting You-Know-Who. 

Certain people seemed to be very interested in hearing Harry's side of how Cedric really dies, which sparked anger in the boy and he stood up frustratedly to announce that he was not there to talk about Cedric, but to teach defensive magic and if that's what people were expecting they could leave right now. 

Veronica could see people were still slightly sceptical about Harry teaching them and she wasn't the only one to notice. 

"Is it true you can produce a Patronus Charm?" questions Luna, looking up at Harry with an innocent look in her eyes. This struck up a conversation of all the impressive things that Harry had done throughout his years at Hogwarts; such as battling Quirrell and You-Know-Who in his first year, the Basilisk in the second year, the dementors and let's not forget winning the Triwizard Tournament. 

Zacharias quickly shut up after that, especially once the Weasley Twins started flaunting some dangerous looking metal rod they picked up from Zonkos before coming to the meeting. 

Harry was flustered at the positive attention from his peers, and Veronica was astounded at hearing these achievements, some she hadn't even been aware of. Sure, Harry had told her about what had happened in previous years but he always downplayed his role in the adventures, so to see him for who he really was - a hero - made Veronica feel bubbly and proud of the boy standing next to her. 

They collectively voted Harry to be the leader and were in the midst of coming up with a name for their group when Cho suggested the Defense Association, DA for short. It was catchy but seemed to be missing a rebellious spark, though once Ginny had altered the DA to stand for Dumbledore's Army it was unanimously accepted. 

The meeting ended with them writing their names on a piece of parchment under the large words 'Dumbledore's Army' and disbanding after Harry announced he would get in touch after they found a place to practice. 

oOo

Veronica had left with Ernie and Hannah shortly after congratulating the Trio on a successful first meeting and while they were strolling through Hogsmeade Hannah nudged Veronica with a teasing smile on her face. "So when were you going to tell us you fancied Harry?" she suggested playfully.

The girl flushed bright red as she looked between her two friends, who were staring at her waiting for a reply. "W-what? I don't know what you're talking about" she stutters, avoiding eye contact with both of them staring at the snow covered ground. 

Ernie bursts out laughing and said "Oh come on Ronnie, it's obvious", Hannah joined in, "the way you were looking at him the entire time back there" she gestures her hands back towards the Hogs Head. 

The brunette had never thought about her feelings for Harry, always assuming they were close friends, but she thinks back to the butterflies and smiles and it suddenly hits her. That's why she was always so irritated when Cho spoke to Harry, or even when the rumour went around last year about Hermione playing with the boy. 

Her wide eyes gazed at her friends standing before her and they witnessed her moment of realization as Veronica becomes aware of her feelings before then mumbling in disbelief "Merlin. I fancy Harry Potter!". 

Hannah squealed excitedly and pulled a smiling Veronica into a hug, jumping up and down then quickly letting go. "You two would be the most adorable couple" she yelled, attracting the attention of a few people around them. 

"Hannah shut up", Ernie nudged her looking around to see if anyone was listening closely before leaning in "Imagine if someone had heard you talking about him". The thought of Harry finding out made the small smile fall of Veronica's face, she could already imagine the embarrassment that would occur if word got out. She knew Harry had feelings for Cho and although she didn't particularly want them together, she didn't want to put herself through the pain of rejection. 

So she wandered back to the castle following Ernie and Hannah, as she processes the thoughts running through her mind. She's never had a crush before because boys usually noticed her and so she never bothered noticing boys until Harry came along. 

Her cheeks stayed in their blushing state the rest on the evening, Veronica finding herself unable to get the messy-haired, emerald-eyed boy off of her mind. 

oOo