Chapter 41: Teenage Angst

oOo

The previous arguments between the Gryffindors seemed to be pushed under the rug as the Quidditch season arrived. Their sense of house pride overcame all other types of feelings they had for each other, and even if it was temporary Veronica was happy to find the team huddled together in the Great Hall before the match. 

She sat with the Hufflepuffs that morning, as she wanted Harry to focus on the upcoming match, and as happy as distracting him makes her, she knew that the boy was very serious about the sport. So she let him be in his element while she watched from afar. 

Tearing her eyes away from the Gryffindor table, she realised that Ernie and Hannah were staring at her as if waiting for her to answer. 

"Sorry, what was that?" she asked smiling, hoping she hadn't missed too much of the conversation. 

Her two Hufflepuff friends shared a look before turning their gaze back to her. "Obviously you didn't hear what we were saying or you wouldn't be smiling right now," Ernie says bluntly, his judgemental eyes following her gaze, and once seeing the Potter boy he sighed. "Well, at least I know why you weren't listening."

Guilt flooded through her, she didn't want them to think she was abandoning them, they were the first friends she made at this school and wanted to maintain that friendship.

"Really, I'm sorry. It won't happen again, honest," and smiled apologetically. Hannah gave a snort at those words. "Oh please, we know it'll happen again, that's what happens when you're in love." 

Veronica's wide eyes stared back at her. The 'l' word wasn't something she was considering, and surely she was too young to feel those sort of emotions.

Hannah had said the words in a teasing manner, clearly not trying to send the girl into a panic, but the 'l' word brought something out of her. Veronica's wide eyes stared back at her. It wasn't something she had ever considered, and surely she was too young to feel those sort of emotions.

"What?! L-love? Haha. Don't be ridiculous Hannah," Veronica stuttered, shaking her head back and forth, staring at her breakfast trying to compose herself. 

Hannah and Ernie shared a strange look before staring at the girl once again, disbelief and bemusement in their eyes. "It was a joke Ronnie, but... do you actually-" Veronica stood up suddenly, interrupting Ernie before he could finish his question. 

"We don't have time for this guys, the Quidditch match will be starting soon and we need to get good seats," she started to take off towards the entrance of the castle. 

Her friends took off after her, hurrying to catch up to the girl's fast pace. "Veronica, you really need to know this. We overheard some younger girls talking and -" Hannah was really starting to annoy her, why couldn't she just drop it? 

"Honestly, I don't want to hear it okay?" she raised her voice slightly shocking the two of them enough to make them halt in their steps. Seeing that they were no longer going to follow after her, Veronica turned quickly and jogged down to the pitch, choosing to catch up with Hermione and sit with her instead. 

She could feel their eyes on her as she walked away, but she continued to hurry away, feeling as if she was running away from something other than her friends prying eyes. 

oOo

Of course, Gryffindor won as usual. Veronica spent the entire match cheering and screaming, her previous feelings of doubt and weariness disappeared as the prideful singing and laughing from the crowd brightened her mood drastically. 

This is how she found herself spinning in Harry's arms as the boy picked her up out of complete joy and happiness. 

"Congratulations you!" she exclaims, giggling into his neck. He finally put her down and peppered kisses all over her face. The massive grin on his face was contagious and she was smiling back at him, happy that he was enjoying himself. 

Hermione wandered towards them once she saw they were finished with their celebrations. "You shouldn't be this proud of him Veronica, not when you realise what he's done," she glanced at him with disappointment, shaking her head. "You can't celebrate a cheat," and narrowed her eyes at the boy's grin. 

Veronica stared at the exchange with a cautious look on her face, sending Harry a questioning glance as she stepped back out of his arms. 

"What have you done now?" she asks dejectedly, hoping they could've had at least one peaceful night. 

Harry sighed, rolling his eyes before reaching into his pocket and pulling out a small golden bottle filled to the brim with a pearlescent liquid that Veronica recognised as the Felix Felicis he won in Potions a few classes ago. He shook the bottle in Hermione's face, gesturing to the cork that was still sealed on top of the bottle.  

"You didn't put it in. You only made Ron think you did" the Gryffindor girl stared at the bottle with a relieved and shocked look. 

The Hufflepuff was starting to piece together what this 'debate' was about and was relieved to know Harry hadn't given Ron the potion, as that was incredible illegal in all types of sport. "I knew Ron could do it! He just needed to believe in himself, and you did that Harry," the boy nodded back at her, bringing her in close again. 

Loud cheering attracted their attention then as they all turned to look at the crowd. Standing at the head of the room was Ron, and he had his arms tightly wrapped around Lavender Brown who had her lips enveloped in his. 

Veronica winced at this display, the two looked as if they were swallowing each other. Helga, she hoped her and Harry weren't that disgusting when they kissed. 

Hermione pushed passed her then, running out of the room as quick as possible, a sniffling sound heard before the girl disappeared. Veronica and Harry shared a worried glance. 

"I'm going after her, stay here. I'll be back okay?" she informed him before hurrying after the Gryffindor, not wanting to lose her in the long twisting corridors of the top floors that she wasn't too familiar with. 

She caught Hermione going into an abandoned stairwell and followed, seeing her resting against the wall, crying silently into her hands. Veronica walked over and sat down next to her quietly, placing her hand on her shoulder, alerting the girl of her presence.

"Is this what it felt like? When you saw Harry with Cho?" sniffles filled the room. Pity grew inside of her as she nodded in response. She knew how the girl was feeling, seeing someone you like with another is... challenging. 

"Does it get easier?" Veronica had never heard Hermione sound this weak before and she seemed to be begging the girl, pleading for it to get easier. It was so sad, hearing this once strong and powerful witch cave into herself because of a boy. She wasn't going to let that happen. 

The door opened suddenly and Ron and Lavender walked in, giggling and hanging off of each other's arm. 

Hermione stood all of a sudden, staring at them with disdain in her eyes. Ron looked at her confused, his eyes glazed over from the effect of the drinks being passed around back in the common room. 

Not wanting a confrontation and knowing Hermione wasn't in her right mind, Veronica took the girls arm and led her out of the room, sending Ron a warning look before they left. She guided them to the Room of Requirement, knowing the party was far from over, and they lay on some sofas for the rest of the night, eventually drifting off to sleep. 

oOo