Fifteen.

Elizabeth awoke in her lovers arms and unlike the previous morning she did not jump instead she nuzzled into his chest listening to his steady heartbeat as she timed her breathing with his own. She had never felt so content in her whole life and wanted this to be forever. She wanted Joel to stay forever, she could make him belong here, and Father Smith already thought he was wonderful. The more she thought about it the more she realised that Joel could live in her world much easier than she could in his. It was fate that brought him here and fate would keep him here too.

Joel awake still feeling his complete contentment from the previous evening and happily Elizabeth was still in his arms. He ran his hand up and down her arm, Elizabeth turned onto her tummy and moved upwards so their faces were level, and she kissed him tenderly. Joel smiled.

"Hmm, that's a lovely way to wake up."

He clasped her towards his chest never wanting to let go.

"You know the guys would adore you."

Elizabeth had heard Joel talk about his friends so many times, they sounded like brothers, more of a family than workmates.

Elizabeth got up and walked over to the bowl and jug on the table; she poured the cold water into the bowl and started to wash.

Joel folded his arms behind his head and watched her perfect naked form as she washed and then dressed.

"Don't you ever get fed up of cold water? Wouldn't you like a nice warm bath or a shower in the morning?"

Elizabeth shook her head at him; he said some really strange things at times.

"Yeah of course Joel, I have lots of time to go downstairs, out into the garden, drag the bath in, heat the water, fill the bath and then have a bath....... Some times Mr Pimentel you make me laugh! I'm going to make your breakfast best you get up or you will be late."

Joel moaned and rolled over, he wanted his warm bed now and all the modern trappings that went with it, he wanted to go home.
Once dressed Joel came downstairs to the usual porridge and toast, Elizabeth had managed to get enough money for more bacon; she took so much pleasure in caring for her man. Rubbing his hands together Joel sat down and started to eat.
Elizabeth made Joel's sandwiches for the day ahead and wrapped them neatly in the clean cloth.

"I'll be up to the house today; shall I make it later so we can walk home together?"

Joel put his plates on the side and cuddled up to Elizabeth nuzzling his chin into her neck and shoulder.

"Yeah that would be lovely. I have a lot to tell Sam this morning."

Elizabeth felt a chill run down her body, this was a part of boy she didn't like, she of course knew it was normal because of her brothers, but to think of a boy talking about something so private made her feel dirty.
Joel felt the tension in her body and turned her to face him; he held her cheeks in his warm hands.

"What's wrong my love?"
Her brown eyes had dulled slightly, he knew she was sad but couldn't understand why. "Did I do something?"

She shook her head and looked at her feet, she felt too dirty and ashamed to look into his eyes, after all they had not made plans to marry, Joel had after all just said he would like it but that could be fancy words from a boy to get what he wanted.

"No it's fine, I understand, don't worry."
Joel was confused but he couldn't leave her to feel like this. He lifted her chin up with his hand under her chin.

"You know I don't understand all things, because there is such a difference to what I am used to, please tell me what I've done, I hate to see you sad."

Elizabeth took a deep breath and spoke in quiet whispered tones such was her embarrassment.
"I understand you will want to tell Sam what happened and what we did, it's alright I will get used to it."

Joel was mortified she thought that, of course he had joked with the guys, that was different because they were so close but he never gave details, none of them ever did it was just teasing each other about if they got lucky or not, it was never intended to degrade anyone and certainly not a girl he loved. He was actually less likely to say anything because of how he felt about her. He held her close to his chest rubbing her back trying to soothe her fear.

" Elizabeth, I would never do that, what happened last night was something special between two people in love, you and me no one else. I wouldn't tell Sam about that at all. I meant telling him how we felt about each other and that we had talked and knew we both wanted the same thing. I respect you too much for that and I know you aren't used to it but we are equal in this, you and me. No one is in charge or commands what happens in this relationship. We do what we both want to do, what feels good and is comfortable for us, if one of us isn't happy about something, we don't do it, simple as that."

Elizabeth held Joel so tight, he was like an angel, heaven sent by the fog, just for her to give her a new life.

Joel set off to work with a spring in his step, he had looked for happiness for a lot of years, searched for the right girl for him to date and it took a quirk of fate to throw him into the past to find her.

*************************

Sam couldn't fail to notice the happiness in Joel as he worked and of course when they stopped for lunch he quizzed Joel who happily told him that Elizabeth felt the same as he did and they were planning a future together. Sam of course gave his blessing to the union, but did warn Joel not to put the cart before the horse, meaning no babies before marriage, as it wasn't worth upsetting Father Smith; he liked Joel and had ensured he fit into the town well. If Elizabeth were to become pregnant before marriage then it would not be good for either Elizabeth or him.