Six.

The days rolled by and Joel unhappily sank into Elizabeth's weekday routine, he helped her to take the clean clothes back up to the large house where the owner of the farm land lived and bring more back to her house.

Although he had heard stories of what life was like in the past he never realised just how hard it was and how everyone just accepted it, and lived each day as it came.

Joel tried several times to speak about going to church on Sunday, but all Elizabeth would do was to shout and scream at him or ignore him totally so he knew he was out of lucky with that but thought he should go along anyway just for the sake of appearances to the town.
Sunday morning arrived and Joel got up, washed and dressed himself in the cleanest and whitest looking shirt in the wardrobe. He found what must have been a black suit once upon a time and put that on.

He looked in the battered mirror on the wall and tried to brush his hair into something a little bit respectable. What he wouldn't give for some gel or moose or wax, God anything it would be heaven.

When he went downstairs he found a mug of coffee and 2 slices of toast waiting for him but no sign of Elizabeth at all. She must be angry and showing him that she wouldn't be going to church and therefore wouldn't be speaking to him. He couldn't help but think how different this would be in his own time, his girlfriend certainly wouldn't still cook for him. Joel sat down as the words ran through his mind again, 'girlfriend'. Was that how he saw Elizabeth? He had only been here for six days and yet he felt they were getting to know each other very well. He certainly couldn't deny the fact he felt a connection with her. Yes she was indeed very beautiful, beautiful in a very natural way and she was a kind and generous girl how could you not love her? Elizabeth was very special.
Just as Joel finished his toast he heard Elizabeth come down the stairs, he got to his feet and straightened his clothes up as best he could.

"Thanks Eliza, I'd better be off I don't want to give Father Smith anything else to moan about do I?"

Then as he turned he saw Elizabeth standing at the foot of the stairs in her best dress. She wore a beautiful black gown that had a little bit of lace at the top.

She raised her eyebrows at him.
"I guess we had better not."
Joel was amazed at her once more, her dark chocolate eyes flashed in a playful manner at him. Today her dark brown hair was loose; he had never seen her hair down.
"Wow, you look good."
Joel stepped up to her and held his arm out which Elizabeth gratefully looped her own arm through and then they left the house and strolled down the street. Every step they took was watched by everyone else on their way to the church, all eager to see Elizabeth's tall dark curly head cousin they had heard so much about and also to see if the rumour of him getting her to church was actually true. People gasped and whispered as they saw Elizabeth walking demurely beside Joel and seemingly in polite conversation.
Father Smith stood at the front of the church waiting for his flock to fill the pews up and he above everyone was shocked to see Elizabeth in the church, he walked down the aisle towards Joel and Elizabeth making everyone who had already been seated turn and look at them.

Elizabeth hated it, she wanted to turn and leave, this made her look like any other woman in the town, doing just as they were told, like she didn't have her own mind.

"Well, well Elizabeth Cole, you listened to this good man and came to church, well I am sure everyone is as surprised as I am. Maybe God will get your soul instead of the devil now."

Elizabeth loosened her grip on Joel's arm; he knew she wanted to leave so he placed his free hand on top of hers.
"Thank you Father but we would both rather no one make a fuss please."

Joel smiled as Elizabeth after he had spoken and she felt safer beside him somehow. They both took their seats and listened to the priests' sermon. When they all stood up to sing Elizabeth felt her legs weakening as she listened to Joel sing, he had a voice like an angel and he made her heart beat faster than it should, she just stood mesmerised watching him as a few people around them did.
Joel looked at Elizabeth and winked as he continued to sing but still Elizabeth couldn't take her eyes from this him.

She hadn't really thought too much about Joel other than helping him but he was very good looking, his chocolate eyes captivated her, his strong manly frame was everything she could ever dream of... Elizabeth very quickly realised she was starting to see Joel as more than a friend she was helping out and she couldn't allow that to happen. All boys used you and then ran away and left you. Her father had used her like a maid, while he drunk himself to death and her brothers used her to bring everyone up then once they had married the twins off. Patricia and Amy, the twins, were older than Elizabeth with three years. Her brothers didn't bother to marry her off because they had a life to live and thought Elizabeth was useless and better off as maid. They moved on and left
Elizabeth alone to fend for herself so why should Joel be any different from them?

Joel's hand on her arm woke her from her thoughts and she realised everyone was starting to sit down. She felt her face redden as she sat quickly. Joel leant towards her ear and whispered to her.

"Do you still think I can't make money from singing?"

Elizabeth and Joel both grinned as they tipped their heads forwards to hide their expressions from the world but they both glanced sideways smiling at each other like naughty children sharing a secret. They both knew there was something growing between them, their friendship was feeling different, and it was changing.

Once the service had finished everyone filed out of the Church including Joel and Elizabeth. Father Smith was at the Church door speaking to everyone as they left; he held his hand out towards Joel
who shook it warmly.
"That was a lovely service Father."
"Thank you Joel and I haven't forgotten my promise to you, they were not hollow words. Go up to the farm tomorrow morning at six, tell Sam MacPherson I sent you and he will sort you out."

Joel wasn't sure if he should be pleased of not, it didn't sound like it was going to be a job like singing and six o'clock was a nasty time, but it wasn't like he hadn't got up earlier than that before and caught a flight somewhere.

Elizabeth elbowed him in his ribs making him realise he needed to show his gratitude.

"Oh that's great Father, thank you so much, how can I ever repay you?" The priest smiled and nodded towards Elizabeth .
"Make sure Elizabeth becomes a regular Church go-er and that is thanks enough for me."

Joel politely made their excuses and they walked back down the street towards Elizabeth's house. The air was very tense both Joel and Elizabeth trying to brush aside their new found feelings towards each other.
************************
¡Hola, mi amigas! Things are kinda getting intense!