The feeling in my lungs didn't improve in any way as I kept running for my life. I was almost there, but not having been accustomed to the snowy and icy environment, I slipped and fell, catching myself with my hands. My time was running out as the hurtling beast behind me was gaining significantly. I got back to my feet and sprinted across the plane of white snow, hearing the beast roar in rage. Seconds later, I entered the dark shroud of the forest again. Not by any means discouraged from running to find safety, I persisted in my flight for a minute or two, afraid to look back.

Soon, however, my fatigue overtook me, and I stopped running, placing my hands on my knees to rest. I finally looked around, not seeing the bear or anybody else around. I was alone again.

  What just happened? I still could not understand what I had gotten myself into, beginning to wonder if it was all some sort of dream. I pinched myself, hoping that I would somehow wake up, wanting things to go back to normal. No snow, no anthropomorphic animals, no psychotic bears. Just home. Home...

***

[Nick]

The ride had thus far been silent, as Judy and I hadn't said a word. The overall feeling in the van was notably melancholy, and Luke himself didn't seem much inclined to talk either. Judy and I sat on opposite sides of the compartment, and Luke on the floor next to my seat. He sat curled in a ball underneath the wool pad I had given him, resting his chin on his knees. It was strange seeing him so... different. I mean, in a way, he was then more normal and familiar to me than he had been before, and yet, like a complete stranger at the same time. He had undergone a complete physical change. One that I wasn't sure how to react to. Happy, that he could finally blend in? Sad, in the possibility that he would never be the same again? I just didn't know.

"How are we holding up?" I finally broke the long silence.

Luke only turned his head away, ears lying limp at the back of his head, not answering.

It was obvious that he was some species of wolf, but smaller than normal. Not quite fully matured yet, it seemed. He had bright white fur over his entire body, but his eyes were the same blue color he'd had before. It was still him.

"Look," I began sympathetically, "this doesn't change anything. You still have just as much of a chance at getting back home as you did before."

He shot me a glare, ears suddenly perked defensively. "This changes everything. How can you possibly know whether or not I still have a chance?" his brow was furrowed in anger and discontent for a moment, but then he relaxed, looking down at the floor. "I tried so hard to find a way back. To get out of this mess, but now I'm sitting even deeper in it than before."

"Don't worry," said Judy from across the van, receiving Luke's gaze in return. "We're in this together. To the very end."

Luke seemed to retreat into his thoughts a little, until I spoke up as well.

"She's right you know," I affirmed Judy's words, receiving Luke's eyes again too. "Whatever happens, we're right here to help you, kiddo."

His stare slowly drifted back toward the floor. "I'm sorry," he said.

"Nothing to be sorry about, buddy. Just take it easy for now," I assured him.

He nodded and went back to resting his chin on his knees. "And... thanks, for saving me back there."

I smiled. "That? That was nothing. I was just getting even with you," I said light-heartedly, and for the first time in what seemed like forever, I saw him smile too. That's more like it.