3. Awkward

"Hey again!" I went over to wyatt and the crew.

"Hey smalls." Taco shook my curls, patting my head.

I hated being so short and small.

Crystal and Wyatt talked about class as Taco and Jasper made fun of each other. I was kind of just there.

I looked around, sort of eyeing everyone and figuring them out. Then in an instant–my eyes made contact with someone who I presumed was Tyler.
He was behind everyone so I wasn't able to completely see him; and my height didn't help. I quickly turned away, feeling awkward. From my peripheral vision I could tell he started walking over to me.

"Move niggas. Who's this?" He eyed me, completely overshadowing me. I was so small compared to him.

"Salem! She's Jorja and Kali–,"

"Yo, she can speak for herself. I'm Tyler." He cut off Crystal in an instant. She rolled her eyes.
I could feel my cheeks redden as everyone started to stare me down.

"I'm Salem."

"Yo, that's a sick name. Salem," He looked around adjusting his bucket hat, "That's cool."

Then, someone came from behind me.

"Who we talking to over here? fresh meat?"

Rocky.

"Sophomore." I smiled at him.

"Now that's no fun. It's fun when they don't know what to expect." He had a slick, sexy tone to him; Rocky exuded confidence.

"You weird nigga. Leave her alone!" Tyler shouted as we all laughed. They began to talk amongst themselves.

Man, Rocky was gorgeous, I couldn't believe he wasn't constantly surrounded by pretty girls. I could feel myself staring at him the whole time.
Crystal nudged me.

"You're making it soo obvious." She whispered in my ear.

"Fuck." I snapped out of it, looking away.

"Good thing is, you got him in your next class.
You can admire him all you want in art class."

I turned to crystal, my mouth forming an O shape. I wasn't sure if it was a good or bad thing yet.

"You're kidding."

"Saw his schedule," She laughed.

...

Soon, it was time for me to get to class.

As I grabbed my bag and phone, I said bye to the crew. I began to walk out when I felt a hand on my shoulder.

"Yo, we got class together I think. Crystal said. You wanna walk?" Rocky smiled.

"Like, together?"

No fucking shit, idiot.

He laughed, "Yeah, together. I mean unless you don't want to."

"No, No, I do! Just, I don't know, it's weird trying to make new friends and stuff. I don't know what to say half the time." I said, looking down as we walked to class.

"Nah, I feel it. It's cool though, you got us now."

...

We sat next to each other the whole lecture, but I was actually trying to pay attention this time.
The whole time Rocky was trying to flirt with the girl next to him; here I am thinking I had any chance with someone like him.

Class ended and I made my way out quickly, I had to get to my photography class. I didn't bother to say bye; he was too busy talking to the girl.

"Hey!" I quickly turned around to Rocky's voice, "If you see Crystal can you tell her I still got her charger?" Ugh.

I nodded, faking a smile.

I made it to photography, finally. Fuck, I was the first one in. I sat in the middle, not wanting to be all the way in the front, but not too hidden either. Everyone began to make their way in, and that's when I realized who was in it.
Tyler walked in, next to Wyatt and some other people. Fuck.
He spotted me, pointing at me.

"Yo, you in here too?" He was loud. Everyone turned to me as my cheeks turned pink. He came over, sitting in the seat next to me.

"Y'all taking photography?" I asked.

"Yeah, we signed up last minute." Wyatt sat next to Tyler.

"Ayo! Steve!" Tyler shouted as Steve Lacy walked in late. At least someone I actually liked was in this class. Even though we just met, he was a lot more my style.

"Hey!" He ran up, sitting to my right, "wassup y'all!" he half whispered.

"I'm so happy to see you. You have no idea." I whispered back to him. Steve laughed, and the prof walked in.

"Good first day class! start preparing
yourselves, you'll be taking tons of pictures soon."