Date Night

McKenzie POV --

As I jumped on my bed, someone knocked on my door. Assuming it was my dad, I told them to come in. It was Demi, my mom, and dad.

"So McKenz -"

"Mac" I replied, cutting Demi off

"Mac. I hear you play softball"

"Yes, I play varsity softball for my high school. Any other pointless questions?"

"McKenzie!" my real mom, Naomi snapped at me.

"I apologize Ms. Lovato. I guess I'm just having a hard time coping with the fact that everything I ever knew was a lie and it's all your fault"

"It's okay, I guess" Demi replied

"So can you leave now" I reply while shooing her away with my heads

"Well, Mac, your father and I have been talking and we think it would be best if you and Miss. Lovato spent some time together." My real mom, Naomi, said.

"Oh, I don't think that would be necessary. You guys told me, I'm not mad at you, let's move on" I spat in reply

"Mac... can you please just spend the weekend with her. That's all I ask"

Silence took over the room before she spoke up.

"Mcke- Mac. It would be an absolute honor to have you over this weekend and if you decide to com-"

"Ms. Lovato as much as it would be an honor to spend my weekend with you, I will have to decline your offer. I am actually busy this weekend" that was a lie.

"Oh yeah, doing what?" My dad speaking the first four words he has said since I got home. I had no response.

"Well, then it's settled!" My mother replied "Mac, go and pack for two days and we are going to have a few words with Ms. Lovato, in private"

A few seconds passed before I stood and made my way to my bedroom, leaving the door cracked so I could hear their "private conversation" 🙄

"So, I take it you are going to just be at a hotel over this weekend"

"Well, actually, I plan on buying a house here in Illinois so that when she comes to visit we can -"

"Woah Woah Woah! Slow down here. We haven't worked out any type of custody agreement" my dad started

"Well, considering I am her mother, I guess I assumed I would get joint-"

"You assumed wrong" my father replied

"Well, then I guess I will have to file for custody" Demi spat back

"I guess you will" my father replied, obviously confident that he would get custody anyway.

I quickly threw clothes, earbuds, and my laptop into a bag before heading out the door. I said nothing. Just sat next to my father.

"I agree, with my father. I believe this whole getting to know each other thing. It should be a one-time thing. You don't even have to file for custody, Demetria"

"We were having a private conversation, McKenzie" Demi replied with anger laced in her words

"Yes, you were having a private conversation about me"

"Put your bags in the car. We are staying at a hotel tonight and tomorrow night and then we will think about living arrangements after that"

I snatched my bag up from the ground before storming out of the house and getting in the front seat of the car. A few minutes passed before Demi came out too. She got in the driver's seat and started the car.