Chapter 10 ~ The Eye-contact

Start from the beginning

I was surprised that Harry hadn't been the first one to interject. Considering the loath he'd had towards me since he came back, I was sure he would have cut Mr. Waltz off before he had even finished the sentence. He was probably just as shocked as I was.

On another note though, what did this mean? Sure, we wouldn't have to do the test today, but would we be forced to do it another day? Or was this just something for today's lesson?

These thoughts wouldn't leave my mind until it was time for lunch. I went to Hannah's locker to meet up with her. Thankfully - considering I was hungry - it didn't take more than a minute until she appeared around the corner, a smile forming on her lips at the sight of me.

I couldn't help but smile back. She just had that effect on me. "Hey there," I greeted once she was standing in front of me.

She put her books in her locker before giving me her attention. "Hi," she smiled, leaning in to give me a kiss on the cheek.

On our way to the cafeteria, I knew she could feel that something wasn't right with me. I wasn't speaking as much as I usually was, and I was in my own bubble. I could tell this because she was frowning the entire walk and flashed me concerned looks every now and then.

It wasn't until we were standing in line to buy our food in the cafeteria that she brought it up, though. "Hey, Lou?"

I turned to her. "Yeah?"

She let out a sigh. "Is something wrong? You're being oddly quiet. It's not like you at all."

I bit my lip, looking ahead of me. "I... Well, something happened in English class this morning and I just can't stop thinking about it," I mumbled.

Hannah went quiet. She was for so long that I started getting nervous that I had said too much. Though, I didn't really know what I did wrong, but it still worried me. I opened my mouth to take everything back when she finally started speaking.

"Does... This has to do with Harry, doesn't it?" She asked, glancing at me through the corner of her eyes.

She didn't sound sad, more understanding than anything, which surprised me. But then again, this was Hannah we were talking about. She was an amazing girl. "Why does everyone assume that just because something has happened?" I sighed, running a hand through my hair.

She turned to me, raising her eyebrows. "Really?"

I rolled my eyes, letting out a small chuckle. "Let me guess... It's because I'm never upset if it doesn't have to do with him?" I assumed, making her laugh as well.

She nodded. "Yeah, exactly. It's true, and you have to admit it."

Shaking my head, I turned back to being serious. "That's not true, Hannah. I was down when he was gone because he left me without a word. Now, he's back and he's acting like a jerk. There's nothing to be upset about here anymore. The reason why I'm acting weird now is because my English teacher decided to put the two of us together for some weird test this morning, and I refused to work with him so I left."

She bit her lip, thinking about what I just said. "Why are you upset about that though? I mean, you didn't have to work with him, so what's the deal?"

Letting out a frustrated sigh, I shook my head. "The deal is that I'm not sure whether we will have to do it another time or not. And the fact that Harry didn't disagree doesn't make any sense to me. Plus, why did the teacher put us together in the first place? He clearly said that he wouldn't put friends together, and he surely remembers that Harry and I used to be pretty close. So why did he go against his own rules? I just don't understand."