Mind Games

By the time I wandered out into the courtyard the area was twice as packed as earlier this morning. It was obvious as I looked around that the other academies had arrived sometime while I was changing. There were clustered groups separating peers throughout the yard. As I wandered I scanned for any familiar faces throughout the mass amounts of bodies. A hand shot up waving my way and I jogged over to the group.

"Took you long enough, Lex," Ember grumbled as he drifted to my side away from the others. Saphira smiled my way before joining into the conversation with Alex and Cameron, her fingers working her hair into a side braid. I glanced around to see if I could find Carter to no avail. No sign of Kyle either. "What took so long anyway?" Ember questioned, his face turned into a scowl as he crossed his arms. I rolled my eyes, shoving his shoulder.

"I had to find my gear," I bluffed, hoping he'd drop the conversation. In all honesty I was dressed in minutes, but I couldn't seem to get what Kyle said from my mind. If it was so obvious to him that I liked someone, why did I have no clue who he was talking about. Ember grumbled a response I didn't catch before he drifted back towards the others. I scanned the crowd again and practically jumped when I came face to face with Kyle himself. "Geez, Kyle! Way to give a girl a heart attack!"

Kyle chuckled, adjusting his bow strap on his shoulder. He leaned in, his brown eyes twinkling. His proximity had the hairs on my arms standing up.

"Still can't figure out who I was talking about?" I rolled my eyes and stood taller, not letting him see how confused he had me. He rested a hand on my upper arm and turned me slightly so I was facing the others. "How about a hint," he mused, dropping his hand and strolling up to the others. I stared at the group for a second; did he mean it was one of the boys? If so he had to be delusional. But yet I couldn't help the uncertainty that crept under my skin.

Alex smiled at me and nodded for me to join them. Biting my lip I walked up to the group, Carter and Saphira parting to let me in. I looked at Alex, but all I saw was the boy who looked after all of us. The one I looked up to and who helped when I had a hard time with lessons. To me I saw a role model, almost like the brother I never had. If Kyle thought I was him I was positive he was wrong. I loved Alex, but not like that.

"I wonder what games they will do this year?" Saphira rambled, excitedly telling Cameron about the games they did last year. Cameron held an easy smile on his lips as he listened to Saphira contently, asking her a question from time to time. I couldn't lie, Cameron was such a gentleman, always thinking of others. On more than one occasion he made my heart swell, and though we had a few moments that made me think he was who Kyle was talking about, I just didn't see it either. Cameron was a wonderful friend, but he didn't give me the butterflies I expected when you like someone. The more I thought about what Kyle said the more I thought he was just toying with me.

"Last year we did teams; I hope they do that again," Kyle added, I glanced at him in time to catch the wink he flashed me. I was growing tired of his games, and the glare I shot him made it quite clear. He rolled his eyes and nodded towards the steps of the academy before turning and walking off. I glanced around the group to see them still completely immersed in the conversation before reluctantly following after him.

"What the hell kind of game do you think you're playing, Kyle, cause it's not funny." He turned towards me, causing me to stumble into him in my attempt to slow down. His brown eyes held a seriousness I hadn't seen before.

"I'm not playing any games. In fact, I'm tired of the pretending game you two lovebirds have going on about your feelings. It's honestly sad to watch, how blind to it you two are. I was hoping my blatant hints would make you realize, but you're in even more denial than I thought," Kyle bit back, finally voicing his true opinion instead of speaking in crypts. I opened my mouth to respond, but once again was at a loss for words. Kyle had an eerie knack for making me question pretty much my whole existence, his comments more often than not leaving my head swimming; this time was no exception. "I feel like I could straight up tell you at this point and you'd still deny it." I rolled my eyes at him.

"But yet you haven't told me who it is I'm so madly In Love with," I yelled, throwing my hands in the air. He rolled his eyes and cursed under his breath, something about the two of us being a match made in heaven.

"Seriously, you and Ember couldn't be more perfect for each other; both unintentionally waiting for the other to stop denying their feelings and fess up. For how talented the two of you are it's hard to believe how oblivious you are." My jaw was hanging open, my throat dry. Ember? He thought the boy I was waiting to ask me was Ember? I shook my head; he was definitely crazy.

"You've got to be kidding me," I mumbled, glancing behind me to the group. Ember stood with his back facing me, his shoulders taut and his arms crossed, feet shoulder width apart. He always stood sturdy, yet gave off this aura of ease that made his movement seem graceful in a way. I swallowed, ripping my eyes away and turning back to Kyle. His face was still serious, though his eyes held a knowing look to them. "You're wrong, we're just close friends." Even as I spoke the knot in my throat didn't ease, in fact my throat constricted more.

"I think you're finally realizing the truth behind my words, though with how long you've been denying it I'm sure it'll take more than a few minutes to fully sink in," he gestured to me," so go ahead, process your  newly discovered feelings." I rolled my eyes, brushing past him and away from the crowd of students. Once my feet hit the stone path I exhaled the breath I was holding, my pace slowing. Thumping steps on the stones echoed louder as the person got closer.

"Kyle, when I walk away that means I'm done talking," I snapped, speeding up my pace as I passed under the garden entryway. A hand clasped my shoulder, spinning me around. I opened my mouth to tell Kyle off, but the words fell from my tongue the instant I saw those evergreen eyes. "Ember?" He shoved his hands into his pockets, rocking forward on his feet.

"What's going on with you and Kyle?" I blinked, but Ember didn't disappear, so I was positive I was awake. I shrugged, not wanting to think about that pain in the ass at the moment. Ember ran a hand threw his shaggy hair, causing tuffs to stick up. "Are you two a thing?" At the question I started choking on air, a look of concern flashing across Embers face as he reached forward to pat my back. The gesture had my face red instantly. Thanks to Kyle's comment I was even more aware of Ember's closeness.

"No," I ground out. Ember nodded, his face blank and I found myself wishing he wasn't so hard to read. Why would he care if Kyle and I were together anyway. Unless Kyle was right? That I couldn't believe. Ember pretty much had his choice of any girl; besides, to him I was just a close friend.

"So did he ask you to the dance then?" I expected Ember to let the conversation go, he wasn't one to drag them out. I shook my head no and he nodded, seeming to process my answer. "I figured with his comment at breakfast he was going to ask you." I glanced at Ember as we started to drift further into the garden, the noise from the crowd below growing distant.

"No, I don't really want to go with Kyle. I mean, he's a great friend but he gets on my nerves." Ember nodded again, his lack of words more annoying than Kyle's cryptic messages. "But he was right, I don't want to go with just anybody." As the words slipped from my mouth I forced my eyes to the ground. I wasn't a hundred percent sure Kyle was right about his assumption, but the idea of going with Ember actually seemed pleasant.

"So who do you want to go with then?" The fact that Ember stayed on the subject of the ball alone was a surprise. These conversations were not his forte in the slightest. I shrugged, sitting down in the edge of the fountain and glancing down at the crowd.

"That I do not have the answer to," I mumbled, reaching behind me to run my fingers on the surface of the water. Ember reached his big hand into the water, cupping it and sending water splashing down my arm. Quickly pulling my hand away I looked back out at the courtyard to see Saphira jogging up the path.

"There you two are! I should've known," Saphira called as she slowed her pace, stopping a few steps in front of us and rolling her eyes. Her arms crossed automatically, into her signature pose. "Micheal is about to announce the games, so if you two want a chance if winning I suggest you come now."

"Come on," Ember beckons as he stands and follows after Saphira. After a few moments I stand to follow, keeping a few paces behind, not close enough to make out their words but close enough to hear the annoyance in Saphira's voice. I watched and she shoved Ember, making him tip slightly before over correcting his balance and crashing his shoulder into hers, sending her stumbling off the path. His laughter floated back to me and whether I wanted to admit it or not, I couldn't hide the smile on my face.