A Welcoming Return

As Cameron pulled down the dirt road to the academy I felt the itch to throw the door of the car open and jump out, whether the vehicle was moving or not. After only a few weeks at the castle I realized I was always home, and I regretted that I had to leave to understand that. As soon as the tired stopped turning I flung the door open and rushed out into the green courtyard in front of Xavior's Academy. Glancing to my right I could see the garden from here, and behind that the woods that wrapped around the Academy itself.

I bypassed the entrance to the Academy heading straight to the back to the familiar stepping stone path in the woods. As I walked past I could feel eyes on me as students whispered and stared at the lost princess as of I wasn't someone who took the same classes as them, or walked the same halls.

"Alexis! Would you wait up? Aren't we going into the Academy?" Carter grabbed my arm in an attempt to slow me down. I brushed her off and pointed at the path we were approaching. "You want to go into the woods first? Isn't that a bit odd? I mean, um, not that they aren't lovely woo-" I turned, stopping her dead in her tracks. Her brown eyes were wider, if at all possible, her mouth slightly parted with the words she had yet to say.

"I'm going to see the twins. I already told you it was the first thing I'd do once I got back." This time I grabbed her arm and dragged her behind me down the path, careful so that she didn't trip on the stones.

"They're in the woods? Aren't there dormatories in the academy? Does everyone stay in the woo-"

"Oh would you please just shut up? I love you Carter I really do, but keeping you cooped up in that castle really didn't do you justice. We're going to Sandra's house, the twins stay there with her, okay?" Carter nodded, a smile appearing out of nowhere.

"That makes sense! Okay, let's go!" She sped ahead of me, this time pulling me along as she raced down the path blindly. I didn't want to complain, finally heading in the direction i had wanted to go, and raced after her, just as eager, though slightly surprised by her sudden change of heart.

It surprised me she didn't realize this earlier, but they had come to Sandra's down her driveway, and being how hidden it is in the woods, they must not have realized how close to the academy they were. In just a few minutes my favorite blue walls appeared in my vision, and I was somehow moving faster, practically breaking through the front door.

"Oh my-" Sandra squealed, her hand over her heart, her mouth in the shape of an 'o' as she took me in. Her look of surprise quickly changed to joy and she rushed towards me and threw her arms around me. "My dearest Alexis, how I've missed you!" She cooed, her arms squeezing all air out of me. I coughed from the sudden assult and she pulled away, brushing a stray strand of my hair behind my ear.

Suddenly I was slammed into from both sides, small arms wrapped around my waist. I took in the twins as they burrowed their faces in me muttering how I was to never leave them again. I couldn't stop the tears that pricked the corner of my eyes and I quickly pulled them closer.

Jesse pulled back and looked up at me with his carribean blue eyes and a toothy grin causing my heart to swell. Valorie soon pulled away too and flashed a small smile before disappearing back into the kitchen where Sandra and Carter had retreated as well. I ruffled jesse's brown hair and he shot me a glare as he tried to fix it.

"You have no idea how much I missed you two," I muttered to the boy beside me. His toothy grin grew and his eyes flashed bright as he grabbed my hand and dragged me to the livingroom.

"We all missed you, Lexi. You came back just in time fore the Royal Festival!" I could tell Jesse was excited, and now that I was here, I figured I might as well enjoy the most of it.

"I can't wait," as I spoke I caught sight of a familiar figure sitting in the chair by the window, contently looking out. "Micheal!" I ran towards the man who had raised me, the emotions of being home finally setting in. He turned with a wide smile and stood, scooping me up in a comforting hug.

"Welcome back, Alexis." I squeezed Micheal tighter, relishing in the comfort his hugs brought me, as I did not get them often. He pulled away and russled my hair, something he used to do when I was young, before pointing to the couch for me to sit. "Have a seat, supper should be done soon, and the others should be here shortly. Your classes begin tomorrow." There he was, the Micheal that was head of the Academy once again. I couldn't hide the grin that things maybe could be just as they were before.

***

I took my seat beside Saphira at the table, taking in the strong smell of Sandra's cooking as she set the table. Valorie was sitting beside me, Carter to the right of Saphira. A cross from me Ember winked from his spot between Jesse and Alex. Cameron sat on Alex's other side, with Sandra and Micheal at each end of the table.

"Alright, the table is set!" Sandra took her seat, and like a timer went off hands were reaching out to fill their plates. I packed my plate full, not that I hadn't eaten well at the castle, but
It was nothing compared to Sandra's cooking. As I took my first bite I listened to the casual chatter around the table. The boys seemed to be discussing an upcoming mission, Ember and Alex filling Cameron in on the details. Saphira was answering any of Carter's questions about the academy. The twins talked about festival, excited that they can participate more now that they are officially attending the academy. I couldn't help just watching contently around me, soaking up the feeling of content.

After supper Saphira offered to show Carter her room, as Cameron had found his earlier when we went to see the twins. Alex and Cameron offered to stay and help Sandra clean up, which only caused her to coo at the two boys for being so gentlemanly. Micheal chased the twins to bed, before retiring to his office. I slowly made my way out of Sandra's onto the stepping stone path.

"Lex!" I turned at the affectionate nickname I hadn't heard in weeks, only to meet a pair of familiar eyes as green as the grass around me. "Are you up for a walk?" I took in the frame in front of me, towering and sturdy. His grin was small and reassuring. I shook my head in agreement before offering my own smile. Ember joined me by my side on the stone path as we slowly walked.

Night walks had always been our thing. When we were young we used to walk the Academy grounds when neither of us could sleep, or train under the stars until I fell asleep where I stood. Unlike most cases, the silence was a comfort I hadn't felt in quite awhile. Soon the stone path disappeared under our feet and we walked the grass, sticking by the edge of the woods, going around the perimeter.

"I've missed this," I mumbled, more to myself than Ember. He glanced down at me, his arm brushing mine as we drifted through the grass. I looked at him before glancing up at the navy sky, shining with stars.

"It'll be nice to have my training partner back," Ember commented as we approached the garden. A smile grew on my face as I thought of training again with Ember. We settled into silence as we walked through the garden, both content with the others company, things back to they once were.