The Rose Family

I fidgeted with the bracelet around my wrist, staring out the car window at the passing colors of fall. I found myself lost in old memories, my mind thinking of everything but where I was going. Looking down at the charms on the chain, I smiled sadly as another memory took hold.

I sat on the edge of the fountain, dipping my bare foot in the water. The air was warm, the night sky a sea of stars lighting up the garden behind the academy. Another tear slipped down my face, and I reached up and wiped it away roughly, hating the act of weakness.

"Are you okay?" I spun around to see Ember, his hands shoved in his jean pockets. I nodded and kept my eyes on the ground, hoping he didn't notice I've been crying. He takes a seat next to me and dips his hand in the water, splashing me lightly. A small smile forms on my lips and I pull my knees up, burying my face in them, tears streaming down my cheeks. I feel a hand run through my hair, brushing it away from my face where it clung to drying tears.

"Then why are you out here alone?" I shrug, looking down to the water again. Ember sighs heavily next to me and stands. I expected him to leave; I wouldn't have been surprised if he did, but instead he sat back down and held a closed hand out to me. Puzzled, I held my hand out hesitantly and he dropped something into it. It clinked as it fell and I felt the familiar cool of medal in my palm. I looked down at the small chain.

"What is it?"

"A charm bracelet." I rolled my eyes, obvious to what it was, but it didn't make sense.

"Why?" I looked up at him curiously and he shrugged, smiling at me softly.

"Why not?" I laughed, a little shaky, and took a closer look. It was a simple, silver chain, holding five charms: a feather, a heart, a rose, the ying-yang symbol, and a shield. Again I looked to Ember puzzled.

"I don't understand." He laughed, taking the bracelet from me.

"It was Saphira's idea. It's so you always remember us. The feather is for me because I'm free-spirited, the heart for Saphira because she always cares, the rose for you because you're beautiful but not to mess with, the ying-yang symbol for the twins because they're different yet one, and a shield for Alex because he looks after all of us. Do you like it?" He asked sincerely, causing the tears to come back. He looked at me worriedly, but I shook my head, laughing.

"I love it." It was such a surprise that Ember would show so much emotion at once that I didn't know what to do, so I leaned in and hugged him. Of course he awkwardly patted my back and then pulled away, causing me to laugh more. He put the bracelet on my wrist and I smiled.

"Thank you." He smiled back at me, then reached out and wiped away my tears.

"Happy Birthday, Lexi."

I leaned my head against the cool window as tears slipped down my cheeks. A hand rested on my shoulder, gently pulling me away from the window.

"Are you okay?" Carter asked her voice soft with concern. I nod, forcing a small smile, yet keeping my gaze on the charms around my wrist.

"Yeah, just remembering is all." She looks at me knowingly, and I see understanding in her brown eyes. She gives me a small smile, and then allows me to look back out the car window. After another few memories replay in my mind we turn onto a gravel road. Winding through hills, we come to a stop in front of a large egg-shell blue house on top of a small hill. On the other side of the hill I caught the glimpse of sparkling water.

"We're here!" Cameron calls as he shuts the car off. I sigh, waiting for him to come open the door for me, as I was previously instructed to do. He held out a hand and helped me out, though I refused to meet his eyes. Once Carter was out of the car we were greeted by a man in a grey suit, a smile on his face, yet his eyes hard. Cameron shook hands with the guy, and I could tell that they had met before. The guy's eyes seemed to relax as he spoke with Cameron, and I had the sudden thought that he probably had this effect on everyone.