Life Choices

I heard a thump from the kitchen where I stood drying dishes Saphira had washed and handing them to Alex to put away. Sitting the plate in my hand into the sink, I walked to the living room. Micheal and Andrew were over by the back door kneeling over something on the floor. Confused I walked over.

"What's going on?" Micheal turned to look at me and I caught a glimpse of familiar Blonde and black hair. "Alexis? Is she okay?" I was coming around to her other side before either could answer me. Her face was pale, a purple bruise forming on her forehead.

"She's fine, Ember. She became overwhelmed and passed out, hitting her head when she fell. The only thing I'm worried about is a concussion." I looked down, brushing the hair out of her face, though she wasn't conscious to mind it being there. "We should get her to her room to rest," Micheal said to Andrew. Without thinking, I slipped my arms under her knees and back.

"I got it," I said as I lifted her into my arms. Andrew tucked her arms in so they rested against my chest, making me give him a puzzled look. Why would he care so much? He barely knew her. I looked to Micheal, raising my eyebrows in question if it was okay for me to take her. He sighed and nodded, running his hand through his short brown hair.

Without further question, I walked through the kitchen and out the door. I could hear Saphira as she freaked out, Micheal probably calming her down. As I walked I felt the tickle of her breath on my neck, comforting me she really was okay. It was as if she were sleeping, and the thought made me smile. I could remember how we used to train till she'd fall asleep in the grass and I'd have to carry her to her room. That or she'd stay up all night studying and fall asleep in the dining hall, and I'd also have to carry her to her bed. As I walked into the academy and through the hall, people looked at me curiously. I saw Amie glare at me as I walked past the dining hall, then lean to whisper to the other girls at her table, but I didn't let it phase me; she was too much for me to handle, anyway. A guy in most of my classes, a pretty skilled hunter, stopped as he made his way through the hallway and smiled at me.

"Are you finally boring girls to sleep?" He joked, and I smirked back at him.

"Only when I mention you, Kyle." He chuckled, knowing I was only joking, and put a hand on my shoulder.

"You know, if you keep treating Alexis like this and being buddy, buddy the girls might think you're taken." I looked at him, my smirk slipping for a moment.

"Nah, they'll never lose interest. Besides, we're just friends, and everyone knows that." Kyle smirked at me, shaking his head.

"Whatever you say man. Can't say I didn't warn you!" He called over his shoulder as he continued down the hallway. I brushed off what he said and made my way to Alexis's room.

Once to her room, I opened the door and walked in, laying her down on the bed. She was still in her evening dress, now with dirt patches and a tear down one side by her calf. Her makeup was streaked down her cheeks from crying, the purple bruise on her forehead looking worse, and her hair was in snarls; yet she still managed to look good. I shook my head, shaking the thought, and pulled off her shoes. Taking the covers and pulling them up to her shoulders, I sighed. She looked so peaceful, a way she didn't look when I last carried her to bed about a week ago. Then she looked troubled and exhausted. Maybe this was all too much for her. I wish we never went on that stupid mission. The thought made my heart ache; she was always so worried about us, she never bothered to really take the time to worry about herself. It was one of the main reasons I was willing to do these kinds of things; because she did so much for us. Brushing a loose curl from her face, I stood and walked out of the room, a million thoughts going through my mind at once as I made my way back to Sandra's.

***

I woke to the soft sound of humming. Opening my eyes, I had to squint to block out the sun. Sitting up, bringing on a major headache, I looked around the room. Sitting in my desk chair was Sandra, whose hazel eyes brightened when she seen I was awake. She had white fabric in her hand, a sewing needle and thread in the other.