A Dress That Says it All

We walked into what was probably the fifth dress store we've been in. This one was quite larger than the others, and had nothing but rack after rack of all kinds of dresses. It gave me a headache, to be honest, but to Saphira it was like a candy shop. She squealed, and then disappeared into the racks. Thanks to her, I've tried on about a hundred dresses already, maybe twenty of them I pointed out. According to her, none of them were good enough. I don't even want to know how many she's tried on already. I couldn't even begin to understand how the boys felt; being asked how every dress looked. Plus, Saphira used them as her own personal rack, making them carry all her favorites.

"Alex!" She called, popping out of the racks, her arms already full of dresses. Sighing, Alex walked around me to his sister, who instantly threw the dresses in his arms, then disappeared back into the racks.

"Are you going to look around?" Ember stood behind me, and had leaned forward to whisper in my ear, sending a chill down my spine.

"Um, yeah. I just don't know where to start..." I heard him chuckle, his breath tickling my neck. He pointed to a section of dress racks on my right.

"I think you'd look better in a longer dress, not to be mean, but I think it would make you look taller." I turned around and smacked his chest, causing him to bust out laughing. "What?!" Narrowing my eyes at him, I set off to look for a dress.

After trying on what felt like my thousandth dress, and for all I know, it could have been, I finally found my two dresses. To my surprise, with the help of Ember, who I learned was dragged along to multiple trips like this before by Saphira.

Now I slipped out of my royal festivals dress, happy to be in my regular clothes for more than two minutes. Once dressed, I walked out of the dressing room to see Saphira waiting, Alex behind her with a pile of dresses, Ember sitting back in the chair.

"Trying on royal festival dresses now?" I asked, raising my eyebrows at the huge pile of fluff in Alex's arms. She gave me a flashing smile.

"Yes I am. I saw your dress. It's beautiful! Are you going to watch me try these on?" She looked at me questionably and I tried not to laugh. Obviously I didn't really have a choice.

"Of course I am! Go ahead; I'll be out here waiting." At this she clapped her hands, her eyes full of excitement, and ran into the dressing room. She just missed Alex as he was walking out from putting the dresses in the room. I watched as he raised his arms in surrender at her and chuckled. Alex really was a wonderful brother, and it made a spot in my heart ache. I would never know if I had a brother, a sister. I would never know my parents. I got lost in sad thoughts, only to be pulled out of them when Saphira walked out in the first dress.

It was a scarlet red ball gown, the bodice covered in gems. To be honest, she looked like a princess. She smiled as she turned and looked in the mirror, admiring the dress.

"I like this one, Saph." I said, making her turn back around to face me. She had a huge grin on her face, flashing me her perfect teeth.

"Me too, but I want to try the others on," She said, though she looked hesitant to take off the dress. I gave her an encouraging smile and waved her to go back into the changing room. She turned and hurried into it. The next several dresses were beautiful, but they didn't quite compete with the first one she had tried on. According to Alex she looked great in them all, which she did, and she should just stop trying dresses on after each one because that dress was the one. I giggled as he sighed every time she went back to try on another. I found myself glancing over at Ember every once in a while, who sat there in silence the whole time, lost in thought.

"Here I come!" Saphira sung as she made her way out of the dressing room. She faced us, not bothering to turn to look in the mirror. The dress took my breath away. It was black, the bodice form-fitting and lacy, and the skirt was a pile of ruffles flowing out from her waist. I heard Alex clear his throat behind me, causing Saphira to look expectantly to her brother.

"Wow Saph, it looks amazing," Alex managed to get out. He was looking at his sister as if he hadn't seen her in years and she was a totally different person. She smiled at him and opened her arms for a hug.

"Thanks Alex! It means the world that you love it. I do, too." She said as she pulled her brother into a hug, and then she turned to Ember.

"And what do you think?" She watched him impatiently, as he seemed to still be lost in thought. "Ember!" At his name he glanced up, and after taking in how she looked in the dress, he flashed a smile.

"It looks wonderful, Saphira. I like it." She gave him an approving smile, and then she went to fetch the lady from upfront. I giggled and looked at Ember who stared back at me with vivid green eyes.

"Enough dress shopping for you?" I asked, my tone teasing. He nodded, his eyes wide with exaggeration, causing me to bust out laughing. I heard someone clear their throat and I turned to see Saphira standing there, her arms folded a crossed her chest.

"What's so funny?" I shook my head, still laughing. Ember smirked at her.

"As usual, my amazing humor." Saphira scoffed at this, and then handed the bags of dresses to him.

"Then humor me and carry these back to  the jeep." At that, she turned and walked towards the front door. I couldn't help it, I was still laughing, trying desperately to catch my breath. Ember shot me a glare and reluctantly followed after her, Alex on his heels. I was still giggling as I followed the boys out of the store and to the jeep. Once in the vehicle, I leaned back against the headrest and closed my eyes, exhaustion  from my lack of sleep tacking on to the already long day. Slowly their conversation drifted away to mumbling, then nothing but quiet humming.