Chapter One

***This is a sample of a book available on Amazon! Help me out and buy there if you like it! Link on my page***

Kate Andrews

"Get the fuck up.." Kevin's voice rang out as I was met with a rush of cold air. My blanket was torn with quickness from my sleepy grasp and I reacted with an animal like groan. Toned shoulders left bare, tiny hairs standing at attention, I tucked up beneath my pillow as best as I could. "And for fucks sake sleep with clothes on."

"What the hell Kev, get out.." I groaned once more, as I smeared my head down against the mattress and twisted up against the wall. Suddenly, I lifted my head glancing down at the empty spot beside me.

"She already left.. and you have school today." Kevin turned and grabbed for the door knob as he walked out. He tossed a protein bar at me and then shut the door with a resounding slam.

Kevin was alright. Well.. he was my best friend actually, and also happened to be my big brother. He had graduated six years prior and worked his ass off to put a roof over my head. I worked when I could too. A few nights a week at the car shop he owned and most every weekend. Accept for basketball season. I had been team captain since my sophomore year. Coach thought we could go to state. Kev and I got by. Our parents were gone. Best not to talk about it really.

I rolled over and settled my feet against the cool hardwoods, toes stretching out and drumming out a soft pattern as I brushed my hands back through my hair. I glanced back one last time to the empty spot on my bed as I grabbed the protein bar and peeled it open. Brooklyn was fun. A lot of fun. A nice distraction from time to time. She didn't seem to want anything more than a warm body beside her every now and then and that was fine with me. She was in college. Studying to be an optometrist. She knew she wanted to move after college, which worked out. I found it was easiest if I didn't let myself get too close to people unless I knew I had an out. Too many ways to get hurt. Moving away was as good of an out as it gets.

"Kate! Get up!" Kevin yelled as he finished pouring himself some coffee.

"I am!" I yelled through a mouth full of food.

"No you're not! The floor hasn't creaked yet!"

I chuckled and stood up to see if he was right. Of course it creaked. That's how he always knew.

"There you go! Now go get 'em girl!" He laughed and then I heard him slide the coffee carafe back into it's spot.

I shook my head and hurried over to grab some clothing. To be honest, I'd forgotten school was starting. It just wasn't a priority to me. Whether I graduated or not, I was going to work full time with Kev when the year ended. Just one more year. One. God that sounded good.

I lazily fell out from my car. 1967 Ford Mustang. If it wasn't the sexiest car in the world, I didn't know what was. Oh god I loved my car. Kev found it in a junk yard, about to be wasted. He rescued it and fixed it up for my sixteenth birthday.

I shrugged my shoulders as I tossed my backpack around and weaved my arms through. I tugged at the straps to tighten it up a bit. It was an old habit. I hated when it didn't sit just right. With a quick flick of my wrist I closed the door behind me and went to head inside. I wasn't too late. Hopefully my first bell teacher didn't have a stick up her ass.

"Andrews!"

My shoulders tucked up near my ears quickly and I tried to speed up. I reached for the door handle only to find a hand slamming it shut ahead of me.