No Control [S2:E16]

Start from the beginning

I laughed nervously. "Uh, yeah."

Megan handed the bouncer her ID. "So, what's your drink of choice?"

"Yeah, you have to graduate from Vodka cranberries now that you're of age," I teased.

"Why?!"

"Because..." Tony laughed. "It's time to broaden your horizons."

Jinx was already flowing with people. I recognized some regulars and gave them a wave while heading over to the bar. Then I spotted Quinton, Sara and Jas.

"Hey Sam!" Quinton called while giving me some kind of shimmy.

I laughed. "Hey Quinton."

He leaned forward on the bar. "What can I get for you?"

"I need you to make one of your specialties..." I smirked and looked at Blair. "For the birthday girl."

"Got it."

"What did you just order?" Blair pressed.

"Don't worry about it."

"You're gonna try and kill me tonight, aren't you?"

"It's your birthday!"

"Sam."

I stopped joking with Blair and turned back towards the bar.

"Can we talk for a minute?" Jas asked.

I looked at Megan, who didn't seem pleased, but couldn't tell me no.

"I'll be right back," I promised.

Then I followed Jas to the back of the bar.

"What's up?" I asked.

"Mariah left."

I felt my heart sink, but not for the reasons I expected. I felt bad for Jas, but I was glad Mariah was out of her life. She had no more ties to me, and that's all I could care about.

"Are you okay?" I wondered.

Jas shrugged, and I could tell this was hurting her more than she was letting me see.

"I'd be okay if she had told me where she went," she said. "Or would at least answer my texts."

I didn't want to say I told her so, because that wouldn't help anyone. I hadn't expected Mariah to stick around with Jas for so long after I fired her, but she had probably only used her for a place to stay until she could find another escape. Who knew.

"I'm sorry, Jas," I finished.

"It's fine," she lied. "I should've known better."

I felt as if the conversation was over, but she still seemed to have things to tell me.

"I'm sorry for letting her get away with so many things," Jas continued. "I should've never let her get away with being late and high. I just..." She took a deep breath. "I have this bad habit of wanting to fix people."

I just reached out and rubbed her shoulder.

"And I was hoping that me showing her some sort of love would make her change," Jas finished.

"I know," I agreed. "And sometimes, that works. But I don't think Mariah is ready to change."

"I just needed to apologize to you. I know she gave you a hard time the day you fired her."

I nodded, knowing Mariah had probably only told Jas what she wanted her to know. She had probably tried to make me look more like the bad guy, but Jas had realized once Mariah bailed that it wasn't true. I just hate that she had to get hurt to realize that.