Chapter Six

The Silent Phantom put away the pistol and moved the dagger towards Aria’s throat, dangerously close to her skin.  “A parley, Monsieur.  I have much to discuss with you.”

“I do not make bargains with vagrants,” the marquis growled.

     The Silent Phantom gently pushed Aria away from him, but kept a firm hold on her forearm.  “Look at your daughter, Monsieur.  You nearly lost her tonight, and I know who is responsible for this deed.”   He took a deep breath, and eased the dagger away from her throat.  “I wish to protect her from those men.”

“In return for what?” Aria’s father snarled.

“Shelter,” the Phantom replied.  He again pulled Aria to himself, setting the blade to her neck.  “Naturally, you would set a guard to protect her.  I know who it is that attempted to kill her, and they will not be daunted by a single man.  You cannot spare more than one, yet only the best may have the privilege of protecting the marquis’ daughter.

“I am expendable,” the man continued.  “Obviously, you would not wish for me to continue on with my lifestyle.”  He laughed under his breath.  “All of France would soon be mine, if you let me be.  Yet your desire for your daughter’s safety is more urgent than your wish to destroy me.”

    The marquis interrupted him.  “How can you be so sure that I am so anxious to protect her?  My duty is to the king, not to my kin.”

“Rest assured that I know, Monsieur.”

    The Silent Phantom went on.  “Allow me to guard your daughter.  It will not matter if I am killed, and she will be safe with me watching her.”

    For a moment, the marquis’ resolve weakened.  But then he caught sight of Aria.  Though her lips were set in a thin line, her eyes were wide as she stared up at her captor.  Her whole body quavered, threatening to fall to the floor.  The marquis firmed his chin and glared at the Silent Phantom.  “She would be safer without you.”

“Then, if you will not listen to sense, I must use… other methods of persuasion.”

    He pressed the dagger hard against Aria’s throat, causing a trickle of blood to break out.  She gasped, and her hands flew up to her neck.  “Her life, Monsieur, in exchange for my own protection.  I will protect her with my life.”  His lips curled in a barely perceptible smile.  “A good bargain, Monsieur.  I suggest you take it.”

    The marquis continued to glare at the man.  “Very well,” he agreed brusquely. 

The Silent Phantom sheathed the blade, and released Aria.  Before she could run to her father, however, he whispered in her ear, careful to make sure only she could hear.  “Believe me, Mademoiselle, it is not my wish to harm you.”

    Aria turned and gave him a stern glance.  She spoke in a tone matching his.  “Monsieur, your actions prove otherwise.”

  She hurried to her father, clasping his hands in hers.   “Thank you, Father.  You did not have to do that.”

    He pulled her into a tight embrace.  “Yes, I did.” 

 It was at that moment that Aria noticed Marie.  She was standing quietly to the side, watching it all through a blur of tears.  Aria walked up to her and put an arm about her shoulder.  “Thank you, Marie,” she whispered.  “You are brave.”

   Marie shook her head gently.  “Nay, my friend.  You are, and only you.”  Glancing at Aria’s father, she amended her statement.  “That is, you and your father.”

Gently removing Aria’s arm from her shoulder, she walked up to the Silent Phantom.  She had to tilt her head upward to look him in the eyes, but she stared up at him, hands on her hips.  “That was vile, and you know it,” she scolded him sternly.