Chapter Four

As Aria and Marie neared the last stair, the Dauphin looked up.  His clouded blue eyes took on an expression of repulsive flattery.  'Ah, Mademoiselle Aria," he cried, holding his arms up.  "How lovely it is to see your radiant face," he said, holding out his hand. 

   Sending an exasperated glance to Marie, Aria reluctantly let him take her hand and lead her down.  Once she was on the same level as him, he bent over her hand and gave it a wet, loud kiss.  Aria's face wrinkled with disgust, but quickly smoothed over as he stood up.

"Greetings, your Highness," she said, curtsying politely.

    The Dauphin grinned, and then turned to Marie.  "It is good to see you, Mademoiselle Dester," he added. 

Marie curtsied in turn. "Thank you, your Highness." 

  At that moment, a maid entered the room, curtsying deeply.  "Dinner is prepared." 

"Thank you, Isabelle."  Aria smiled warmly at the woman.  The maid had been fast friends with Aria's mother, and when she had died Madame Rousseau had taken up the role of raising Aria.  Having a daughter of her own, the woman had a sort of motherly love for Aria. 

    The Dauphin gripped Aria's arm in his, smiling in what he thought was a charming manner.  "Allow me to escort you, Mademoiselle." 

"Thank you," she sighed.  

      He led her into an adjoining chamber, where a large dining table was laden with large dishes.  Aria's father rose from his seat and bowed.  "Welcome, your Highness.  It is an honor to have you dine with us."

  The Dauphin nodded, a small smirk appearing on his face.  The honor that his title held was not lost on the young man, however daft he may appear.  The marquis nodded to servants that stood by the table, and they escorted everyone to their assigned seats. 

    Once everyone was settled, the marquis closed his eyes and bowed his head.  He spoke the blessing vibrantly, thanking the Lord for His provision in their lives and for His graciousness in sending the Dauphin to them.  After the prayer, he rose and clapped his hands.  Servants filed in and began to serve the food.

     It was an elaborate meal, though not a feast.  There were three courses, beginning with soups and various light entrees and ending with delicate ices and magnificent pastries.  Wine was given freely to those who asked, and towards the end of the meal the Dauphin's cheeks were flushed and his voice and gestures animated.

    As the meal came to a close, Aria still sat straight up.  Unfortunately, she had been placed next to the Dauphin, who attempted to make conversation and fill his mouth with as much of the good fare as he could.  Although she tried hard to be civil, she could not help the slight frown that puckered her forehead.  If it had been anyone else, it would be excusable – but the Dauphin was the king's chosen heir, who would one day rule all of France. 

      Aria glanced across the table at Marie, who politely took small bites out of everything.  When she sat Aria's gaze, she smiled encouragingly and mouthed the word 'persevere'.  Aria chuckled slightly.   

  Her father turned his eyes to her.  "Yes, my dear?"  he asked, raising an eyebrow slightly.  She immediately realized her mistake. 

"It is nothing, Father," she quickly responded. 

"All right then," he replied, his brow still raised quizzically.  Aria shot him an apologetic glance.  There was quiet for a moment, filled with the small tinkling of glass and the sound of utensils scraping plates.  The Dauphin cleared his throat and addressed the marquis.  "Thank you, good Monsieur," he said, rising to his feet and bowing clumsily.  In other circumstances, he might have been more graceful, but he was weighed down with the food he had consumed. 

    Aria's father rose as well, with more composure.  "The pleasure was all mine, my lord.  Can you not stay a while, though?  You would certainly be welcomed."

    The Dauphin shook his head regretfully.  "Nay, I cannot.  I have business to attend to early next morn." 

    He turned to Aria and drew her to her feet, giving her hand yet another sloppy kiss.  "It was a pleasure, Mademoiselle.  You must come and dine with me, then, at the palace at Versailles." 

"Thank you, your Highness," she replied, drawing her hand away and curtsying.  Secretly, she wiped her now-wet hand on the back of her gown. 

  The Dauphin sighed dramatically and turned to face Marie, bowing to her.  "Farewell, Miss Dester."

 Bowing her head, she smiled somewhat mechanically.  "Goodnight, your Highness."

      Turning towards the chamber's door, he threw one last lingering glance at Aria.  She cleared her throat and shifted uncomfortably under his gaze.  Heaving a sigh, he headed out the door.  At that moment, however, a loud shot came from outside, and one of the large windowpanes shattered.     

      Marie and Aria gave out yells of surprise, and dropped to the ground.  A bullet whizzed above Aria's head, clipping some of her hair.  It bored through a ceramic vase, breaking it, and buried itself into the wall.

    The marquis, Marie, and the Dauphin all hurried to Aria's side, pulling her to her feet.  Aria was silently trembling, though her eyes were dry.  She clenched her eyes shut and wrapped her arms about herself, desperately trying to still her shuddering body.  Soon, however, she fell forward into her father's arms. 

     He gently caught her and set her to her feet, keeping his arms wrapped firmly about her shoulders.  In his eyes was a burning fire, one that nearly made Marie step back in alarm.  But the same look was mirrored in the Dauphin's eyes.  For all his sloth and cowardice, this attempt on Aria's life had enraged him. 

     Marie hurried to Aria.  She gripped both of her hands in her own, her face white.  "Aria, are you hurt?" she cried, wrapping her friend in a crushing hug. 

    Aria blinked rapidly, shook out of her trance.  She raised her arms and placed them warmly about Marie.  "I'm fine, Marie," she assured her. 

   The marquis cleared his throat and gently took his arm off of Aria's shoulders.  "Are you sure, child?"  he asked, in as calm a voice as he could muster. 

   Aria gently detached herself from Aria's arms and walked to her father, taking one of his hands in hers.  "Yes, Father.  Thank you."

     The Dauphin stood alone against the wall, quavering with rage.  He let out a shout and lifted his head, screaming to the ceiling.  "I will kill you!" he cried, shaking his fist angrily.  Despite his childish words, the glare on his face and the intense look in his eyes proved that he would do all he could to live up to his words. 

     The two men went to the drawing room, speaking in low, angry tones.  Aria and Marie caught two words –hanging and phantom.  Aria turned slowly to face Marie, fear evident in her face.  "Do you believe that the Silent Phantom did this?"  she asked quietly. 

     Marie cleared her throat, finding it hard to speak.  Tears streamed silently down her cheeks, and she had to swallow before speaking.  "I don't know, Aria," she responded in a tight voice.  "I don't know."