Ignorance | Haytham Kenway

i hate this

———————

Taking a deep breath, you willed yourself to calm your nerves and not throw up the contents of your stomach. Today was the day you were to meet Haytham Kenway, your mentor and hopefully one day your future Grandmaster. Your stomach was in knots as you curled your hands into fists, tapping your foot on the floor as you waited in anticipation, a nervous tick you had gotten from your mother. Squirming around in your seat, you took a moment to look around the beautiful room. The walls were a bold red color to match the blood red carpet, the drapes that covered the windows were opened wide to let the morning sunlight into the dark hallway. Expensive paintings hung on the walls in between the windows, fresh flower vases sat on tables against the walls. The hallway was quiet mostly, the only sound coming from your foot or the occasional maid passing by your nervous form sat in a chair. Your eyes glanced nervously around the room but mostly stayed on the door on the opposite wall in front of you, with all the time you had you memorized every detail of the door itself, a poor attempt to calm your nerves. What if he rejected you? Kept you as a maid? Or worse, a slave for him and his entourage? Your body shuddered at the absurd thoughts, suddenly having a not so nice mental picture in your mind of every bad thought you've had this morning.

After what felt like ages the door finally creaked open, your head snapping over as soon as you heard it. You quickly got to your feet and stood up straight, your hands clasped behind your back and wiping all emotion from your face. Charles Lee stepped out first, the man giving you a slight nod of his head as he walked past you down the hall. You attempted to smile genuinely, the ends of your mouth fighting to curl upwards from his small act of what you knew to be mock kindness. "You must be the intern, yes?" A deep voice announced as Haytham finally stepped out of the room, his head held high in the air and even from a few feet away you could feel the authority radiating off of him. You gulped slightly as he stepped up to you, his tallness making you even more nervous than you already were. "I-I um, yes. Th-that's me." You stuttered and mentally cursed yourself for doing so but he apparently didn't care, his grey eyes holding no emotion as he nodded once. His calculating eyes briefly scanned over your body, seeing if you were worthy or not of his lessons he would eventually give you. "Hmph. Well, I suppose it's better than nothing." He remarked sassily and you released the breath you didn't even know you were holding, wondering to yourself if he was always this rude. "Come along, we have much to accomplish. And do try to keep up." He remarked before turning and walking down the hallway at a rather quick pace, your mind not catching on to the fact that he was leaving just yet. You blinked and caught on to the fact that he was almost to the door, knowing he probably didn't have the patience to deal with you lagging behind.

"This is gonna be fun."

— Time Skip —

Over the course of the next 7 months, Haytham had shaped and molded you into a perfect weapon made just for the Templar Order. You were much stronger and lighter on your feet, always on alert and ready for the next attack. He had taught you to never let your guard down even when you thought you were safe, because according to him you would always be in some form of danger in this line of work. You didn't mind as long as the world was eradicated of Assassin's and everything was peaceful, with the Templars preferably at the top of the metaphorical ladder of authority. Haytham didn't change the way he acted around you, seeming colder to you than to Charles or Shay (when he would visit). He just seemed to not like you from day one and yet he trained you anyway; he watched over you, corrected your stance when needed, taught you about the Order, passed on his years of knowledge he gained from his father to you. Against your better judgement you had grown to care for him in the 7 months you've been under his wing but you knew it was basically forbidden and he probably didn't feel the same way. Haytham was a smart man and if you weren't careful, he would catch on to your deeply hidden feelings.