Cheater, Cheater | Altaïr Ibn-La'Ahad

The blistering hot sun was relentless as it sat high in the cloudless sky. Masyaf's markets were busy today, children running around without a care in the world. Their parents calling after them, telling them to slow down and stay within range of sight. The good people of Masyaf were buzzing with chatter at the mention of a Templar being held here, Maria Thorpe. Altaïr, your almost lifelong partner, had brought her back here from Acre and had been holding her for questioning.

(A/N: I don't know if Maria actually ever came to Masyaf, I've only played the first part of AC1. I have done the mission in AC2 where Desmond passes out from the bleeding effect and has to climb the tower in Acre to get to Maria. For the sake of this imagine, Maria will be held in Masyaf for a short period of time)

The weight of the diamond that sat on your ring finger felt heavier than normal as you picked up a bright red apple and inspected it. Altaïr had proposed a few months ago, and you had been busy with wedding preparations as your fiancé had been biding his time with small missions to keep him busy and his mind occupied. The basket in the crease of your elbow grew a little heavier as you placed the red apple inside atop a few other fruits and veggies you had bought from the vendors. You were planning on making Altaïr a big meal since he had just returned from Acre, you knew he was tired and definitely hungry. You pulled out your coin purse, and gave the older woman a few more coins than she would have asked for. She smiled kindly at you, and muttered a 'thank you, my child.' You smiled, and nodded as you moved on to the meat stand a few feet away. You placed a hand on your slightly bulging belly, worry setting in your eyes as you pondered how you were going to tell Altaïr. You were going to spend the rest of your lives together, and this child would only be the icing on the cake.

You could already smell the chicken and meat as you approached the stand. Bile rose in your throat, but you kept it at bay, your stomach was always a little queasier than the average person and this child wasn't helping. "What can I getcha?" The man asked, and you smiled and pointed to the chicken behind him, already cooked and packaged. "That one, please." You told him, and he turned around and grabbed the medium sized chicken from the shelf. He turned around to face you, and placed the chicken on the table in front of him. "3 silver shillings." He told you, and you laid the required payment on the table in front of him and placed the chicken in your basket. The sun glared down on your already tan skin, and you wiped your brow free of sweat. Figuring you better return to the castle before you passed out from heat exhaustion, you began your trek back to the old castle. The townspeople waved and smiled at you, and you did the same in return. News had spread of your engagement to Altaïr, and even though everyone had always been nice to you before meeting the Syrian Assassin, they were more appreciative of you now.

A cool wind blew through your hair, giving you a little more relief as you walked up the steps to the castle. A few assassin's were walking out the doorways and they stopped to let you walk in first. "Thank you." You told them, and they just nodded as they walked though and made their way to the training ground. Since no one was on the lower level of the castle, you placed a gentle hand on your belly and gazed down at it lovingly. You were maybe 12 weeks along, according to the doctor visit you made in secret. You told him not to tell anyone and he agreed wholly as you payed him a few extra shillings for his silence. "You have returned!" A voice boomed, and you looked up at the overhang to see Nahda, your most trusted friend, leaning against the railing. You smiled, Nahda was one of the only people in the whole of Masyaf (besides the doctor) to know about you being with child. She had been excited but worried, hearing too many stories of women dying in childbirth. "I have, my basket is full and so shall be Altaïr's stomach." You smiled, and greeted her as she gracefully descended the stairs. Nahda was a younger woman, close to your age and weight. You had trained with her, and were both inducted into the order at the same time. She had been with you through thick and thin, and you don't know what you would do without her. She was like a sister to you. You talked to her daily, always checking in on her and her training and helping her guard the castle on her rounds.