Chapter Five: Marissa

While Jake was off taking his college assessment for Princeton, I spent the day with the kids. It was a nice day so I took the kids to the park and showed them where Jake used to play basketball with his friends in high school. They all meet up there every once in a while but they all went their separate ways once they graduated high school. Most of his friends went to a neighboring school so they didn't hang out as often as they wished to. I just sat on the bleachers while I watched the kids dribble one of Jake's old basketballs around the court. They didn't throw it at the basket. They just played around. Tossing it to one another. I love watching them play together. It makes me feel that I did something right as a parent.
  "Oh my God. They are getting so big," I heard a female voice say from behind me. I turned my head to see Hilly walking over. I haven't seen her since last summer when she got married.
  "Oh my God," I exclaimed and got off the bleachers and walked over to her. We wrapped each other into a hug. "How are you and how is Crystal?"
  She pulled away and smiled wide. "We are doing great. We are in the process of adopting a little boy."
  "That is wonderful."
  She shifted her head to look at the kids. "I swear, they get bigger every time I see them." 
  I chuckled and looked at them as they continued playing. "Yeah, don't remind me. They're growing so fast."
  We both went and sat on the bleachers, watching the kids. "Where's Jake?"
  "He has a placement exam. He's reapplying to go to Princeton in the fall."
  Hilly's mouth formed a small 'o'. "Really?"
  I nodded. "He's been working so hard. He's been working at the auto body shop almost every day for four years so he can earn the money to go. I have no doubt he'll get in."
  "He's still wicked smart?"
  I nodded and popped my lips. "I think he's smarter than he was in high school."
  "Do you plan on having any more kids?"
  I thought for a moment. "We've talked about it. He really wants to have another kid but we came to the decision to wait until the kids are a little bit older."
  "I really hope I can see Jake before I head back to New York." Hilly moved to New York to go to college at NYU. That's where she met Crystal. They got married almost immediately after they graduated. They now live in a big apartment there and they don't plan on moving anytime soon.
  "He misses you. He misses everyone."
  "I meant to mail him a letter after he sang at my wedding to thank him but I haven't gotten around to it. You think you can give it to him for me if I don't see him?"
  I nodded my head with a smile. Just remembering how Jake sang at their wedding brings back the goosebumps. The happy kind. Hearing his voice has always given me goosebumps. "Absolutely."
  "Does he still sing a lot?"
  "Yeah, he never stopped. He sings to the kids to help them go to sleep and sometimes he just sings around the house for fun."
  "That's great."
  "Hilary!" Alissa and Ben shouted and ran over, instantly wrapping Hilly into a hug. 
  "Hey, you two. You're getting so big." She pulled them away to get a close look at them.
  "They say I'm going to be just as tall as my dad," Ben said all giddily. "I'm going to join the NBA when I grow up!"
  Hilly turned to look at me. "The NBA?"
  "Yeah," Ben said for me. "I'm going to join someday and totally beat the Lakers!"
  I wrapped my arms around Ben and brought him into a hug. "Remember what we told you?"        He thought for a moment. "Hard work and determination can get me anywhere."
  I kissed his cheek. "That is right."
  Ben pulled away and grabbed the basketball from the ground. "I'm determined that I am going to make this basket." He walked over and stood near one of the basketball nets. He's too short that I doubt he'll be able to make it.
  "It's okay if you don't make it," I called out to him.
  He held the ball above his head in the form that Jake has taught him. He looked so concentrated. Just by looking at him I knew that Jake has taught him a lot. It took a few seconds before Ben threw the ball up in the air. I was amazed at how high the ball went. I was even more surprised when the ball went through the basket. "Oh my God," I said and stood up. "He actually made it."
  Ben grabbed the ball and ran over to me. "Mommy, did you see that!?"
  "Yes, I did," I said and picked him up into a hug. "You think you can do that again?"
  He nodded. "I'm sure of it."
  "I want to film it on my phone so we can show Daddy later." I took out my phone and held it out, zooming in on Benjamin as he took the shot.
  "Benjamin and Alissa aren't the only ones who call Jake 'Daddy'," Hilly said and wiggled her eyebrows at me.
  I nudged her in the shoulder. "Shut up."
  I watched carefully as Ben jumped up and took the shot, the ball going straight through the basket again. He obviously didn't get his hand-eye coordination from me.
  "Mommy," Ben cheered and ran back over to me. I saved the video and put my phone back in my pocket. Thank you, storage usage pop-up for not disturbing the video. "Did you see that?"
  I brought him into my arms and kissed the top of his head. "I sure did. I'm impressed, honey."
  "Do you think I'm good enough to try out for the NBA?" he asked.
  I nodded and put him on my knee. "I am positive. Just keep practicing and you'll be there by the time you're my age."
  "I love you, Mommy," he said and wrapped me in a hug.
  "Me too," Alissa said and hugged my leg.
  "I can't wait to have this," Hilly said eyeing the kids.
  "What?" I asked.
  "A family." She picked up Alissa and put her on her lap. "I've always wanted to be a mom and soon that will happen."
  "How far along are you in the adoption process?" I asked. Hilly and Crystal have been working on adopting since they got engaged. They've been working on it for over two years.
  "Very good. If everything keeps running smoothly, we'll be able to have a child by this fall."
  I smiled wide at her. "I am so happy for you both." I leaned over and wrapped her in an over the shoulder hug. I held Benjamin tightly and looked down at him. "Word of advice," I started, "having children isn't exactly easy especially when they're so young but I couldn't ask for anything better." I kissed the top of Benjamin's head. "Being a mom is the most rewarding experience you'll ever have."
  Hilly smiled and looked down at Alissa before looking back at me. "I can't wait to grow my family. The house will be filled with love."
  "Trust me, it's the best feeling in the world." I looked down at Ben with a smile. "I can't wait to show Daddy the video."
  "He's going to be so impressed," Ben said with a giggle.
  I gave him a big hug. "He sure is." I looked over at Hilly. "This is one of the greatest things I've experienced with being a parent."
  "And what would that be?" Hilly asked with a smirk.
  "The love. The hugs. The feeling I get when they call Jake and me 'mommy and daddy'. You are going to love being a mom."
  "I can't wait," Hilly said with the widest smile on her face.