Chapter One: Marissa

I laid in bed next to Jake. The same bed we've slept in together since the day I found out I was pregnant. Jake laid on his stomach like usual with his hands under the pillow and his mouth opened a gap with his head facing in my direction. I always try to lay down so I'm facing him to make sure he was the first thing I saw every morning. He hasn't changed much since we graduated high school. Except for some extra muscle that he gained from working at the Auto Body Shop and his hair a little shorter and not as shaggy as it used to be... nothing has really changed. He still has that clean baby face I fell in love with all those years ago.
  I was awake before him like usual but I continued to lay in bed and watch him sleep. The way his breath was slow and steady. I knew he was going to have to wake up for work soon. He still works at his uncle's Auto Body and Repair Shop like he did in high school. He's been saving up so he can finally go to Princeton. They told him that they'll still accept him as long as he can pass the placement test. He's not planning to go the full four years at Princeton. He wants to take two years and hopefully graduate when he wants to. 
  I didn't have to wake him when three little kids barged into the bedroom full of energy. It was Jake's little sister Anna and our two kids, Benjamin and Alissa. I've known Anna since she was a couple months old and I was happy that I got to watch her grow up. She's going to be five in a couple of months. One year older than the twins. They all climbed up on the bed and started jumping around. This caused Jake to finally wake up. "What time is it?" he asked tiredly as he grabbed Anna and brought her into a hug. That's what I love about him. He's good with kids. It's one of my favorite traits about him.
  "Just about eight," I told him.
  He groaned and threw his head back into the pillow, still holding Anna. "I don't have to wake up for another half hour."
  "Jacob," Anna said and poked Jake's cheeks making him look at her.
  "What, munchkin?"
  "Momma made breakfast and it looks so good. We can't eat it unless you're with us."
  Jake sighed and sat up, holding Anna on his lap. "What did momma make?"
  "She made bacon, eggs, and buttered toast," Anna said as she counted on her fingers.
  Jake placed her down on the bed. "Can't miss that," he said. "Give me a moment and I'll be right down."
  Anna smiled and stood up on the bed, placing a kiss on Jake's cheek before doing to same with me. Benjamin and Alissa did the same before following Anna out the door.
  Jake went to his dresser and grabbed a clean shirt and flannel along with a pair of jeans. He placed them on the bed as I went to my dresser to grab one of my spring dresses. Jake and I stripped off our clothes, throwing our night clothes in the hamper. He took my hand and we went to the bathroom to comb our hair and brush our teeth. Goofing around in the process.
  By the time we got downstairs, the kids sat still at the dining room table. I could tell right away that they wanted to eat before heading to daycare. Anna was in EK so Clara would be dropping her off soon.
  Jake and I took our usual seats next to Benjamin and Alissa, helping them put food on their plates. We helped them pour their glasses of white milk and placed a couple of each food on their plates. 
  Every time I look at Benjamin, I see Jake's face. Benjamin has Jake's eyes and facial features and had my hair. He just got a haircut. His hair grew over his face and we decided to cut it short a while back. It now was shaped to his face, making him look like a miniature Jake. Same eyes and same hairstyle. The only difference was that Jake had fawn hair and Benjamin had my dark brown hair. 
  When I look at Alissa, she has my eyes and Jake's hair with a bit of both our facial features on her face. We are told a lot how much these kids look like us and that they are beautiful which we always agree with.
  Clara comes in alongside Paul and takes a seat on the other side of the table dressed up for them to head to work.
  "Did everyone sleep well last night?" Clara said mostly to the kids.
  "I slept great!" Benjamin said. "But, Daddy wouldn't get up this morning."
  Jake chuckled and ran his hand over Benjamin's head which caused Benjamin to laugh. "It's hard working full-time."
  Clara shook her head unimpressed while putting food on Anna's plate. "You're not a kid anymore. You're twenty-three and you have to make sure you get at least eight hours of sleep every night."
  "I'm sorry, Ma," Jake said softly. "Someone got into a car accident early this morning and I had to run off and pick it up with the tow."
  "Is Daddy going to get a spanking?" Alissa asked Clara.
  Clara shook her head. "No, but he is going to get a lecture about making sure he gets enough sleep at night."
  Benjamin looked over at Jake with a painful, "ooh."  He playfully popped his lips. "Good luck."
  Jake chuckled and rubbed a hand up and down Ben's back. "Thanks, bud."
  "Will you two knock it off," Clara said but couldn't help the smile that spread across her face at their playfulness.
  "Sorry," Benjamin and Jake said at the same time.
  "Please no lecture," Jake begged. 
  Clara waved it off. "Whatever. It's too early to deal with this. We'll talk tonight."
  "Ooh. Daddy's in trouble," Benjamin laughed.
  Jake chuckled and picked up Benjamin, placing him on his lap and began tickling him. "You wish." Benjamin roared into a laughing fit. I covered my mouth to try to stop myself from laughing. I could see that Paul and Clara wanted to laugh too. Alissa, on the other hand, wasn't afraid to laugh. In fact, she wanted to be tickled next. "You want to come to work with me?" he asked our children.
  "Yeah!" Benjamin and Alissa both cheered.
  I shook my head, giving Jake a hard look. "You know they have daycare."
  Jake sighed, holding both twins to his chest. "Five minutes?"
  I chuckled. "Okay. But, only five minutes. We'll drop you off on the way."
  "Fine," they groaned and got off Jake's lap to sit back down in their seats.
  "Marissa," Jake started. "Can I speak to you for a moment?"
  I nodded and stood up. "Sure."
  Jake led us out of the room and up the stairs so he could tell me what was on his mind in private. "I'm almost there."
  I crossed her arms confused. "What?"
  "You know how I've been saving up for college?"
  I nodded.
  "Well, in just a couple more paychecks I'll be able to afford to go to Princeton for two years."
  "Does this mean you're going to reapply?"
  He nodded, wrapping his arms around my waist. "Of course." He leaned down and pecked my lips.
  "I have so many questions."
  "All of which you can ask me later. I got to get to work," he said and placed a kiss on my forehead. He turned and walked out of the room, leaving me frozen in place. I did have a lot of questions that I guess will have to be answered later. 
  "Come on, we got to go," Jake said when he entered the kitchen. He was helping the kids get ready while throwing on a leather jacket. "Love you, Mom," he said to Clara and kissed her cheek. He moved on to kiss Anna's cheek and give Paul an over-the-shoulder hug. I did the same and we guided the kids out of the house. Holding their hands because they had a tendency of running around.