05| shoulder to cry on

FYI:
WSOE • Winifred School of Engineering

to cchissyy for all their love and support <3

| Chapter 05 |

| shoulder to cry on |

BREE was running late.

Her Analytical Physics I class didn't start until nine but there was only five minutes left. By the time she gathered her books and locked her dorm room, left the dorm building, then walked across the campus grounds and made her way to the second floor of the WSOE building, Professor Howard would be there.

It was only the third month into the first semester of college; she didn't want to bring attention to herself, especially in the form of disapproval from a lecturer she respected a lot.

Just as Bree was about to reach for the doorknob, the door swung open gingerly -- as if the person on the other side was being deliberately cautious.

For a split second, Bree wondered if it was a student who was skipping lectures and snooping around in the unlocked dorm rooms.

But the thought went away as soon as Bree's instincts kicked in. Her instincts were usually right. And she somehow knew who it was on the other side.

The young woman's face came into view and didn't notice Bree until she'd closed the door shut as quietly as she'd opened it and turned fully around.

The intruder let out a startled squeak.

"Melody?" Bree whispered, taken aback even though she'd guessed right. She hadn't seen her roommate in ages.

Mel looked like she'd been caught red-handed doing something illegal.

"H-hey, B-Bree... I, um, I did -- didn't expect you here... I-I mean, I thought you had classes a-at nine..." Mel's eyes began to water and tears suddenly started streaming down her face. She covered her face with her hands and slid down against the door until she was seated on the beige carpet, her back leaning against the narrow frame of wood. "I'm sorry. Y-you must hate me so much! Oh God, I'm so, so sorry Bree -- I..."

Bree dropped her books without a second thought, appalled at what Mel was thinking.

She hurried towards her friend and got down to her knees, latching her fingers around Mel's wrists and gently pulling her hands away from her tear-streaked face.

"Don't you ever think that again, okay?" Bree said fiercely, her heart breaking for Melody. "You don't have to apologise to me. I'd never judge you for what happened okay? You don't ever have to worry about that when it comes to me -- or even Dale for that matter."